Films with alternate English dubs thread

SmackBurton

Ok.  So this is my second thread about dubbing and I started it in General forum since I think both classic and modern movies can be included.  I have been on a search for the original dub (English) of The New Legend of Shaolin and have come to the conclusion that either it has never been released on DVD or the copies are so scarce that I haven't been able to find any info or even a picture of the DVD release. Well during my search I came across the Dragon Dynasty 3 pack of Fist of Legend, The Enforcer (My Father is a Hero), and Tai Chi Master.  I picked it up because it was only a couple bucks and I used to like those films when I had the bootleg versions back in the mid-late nineties.  And wow, the dubs are different on them also I'm pretty sure (I didn't watch the Enforcer yet so can't say that one for sure).  Honestly, I really don't like the films as much with these new dubs.  Sure I can watch the subbed versions but I prefer the dubs for various reasons.  I did a search on the forum and found that there are a lot more films out there that have been redubbed in English and seems that I'm not the only one who prefers the originals.  So basically I wanted to start a thread where we can list what films have alternate dubbed versions (and possibly what releases feature each) and have that all in one place instead of or in addition to the individual films.  I know that if I had been able to see in one place that both Fist of Legend and Tai Chi Master had redubs on the Dragon Dynasty release I wouldn't have bought it so quickly. Maybe this could help others find the films in the versions they have nostalgia for or at the very least avoid spending money on versions that they don't want.  Here is my first contribution:

The New Legend of Shaolin aka Legend of the Red Dragon -   All releases titled Legend of the Red Dragon feature the new English dub.  Red Sun DVD with Blue and white cover featuring Jet Li and Xie Miao posing and "The New Legend of Shaolin" in English in the top right corner has the new English dub.  Only time I've heard the original dub was on a bootleg VHS and one clip on YouTube.

Fist of Legend - Dragon Dynasty DVD features new English dub. Heard the original dub on a bootleg VHS.

Tai Chi Master aka Twin Warriors - Dragon Dynasty DVD features new English dub.  Heard the original dub on a bootleg VHS.  There is another thread talking about Twin Warriors original dub that might have more information on releases.

I've seen other threads mentioning Drunken Master, Warriors Two, Last Hurrah for Chivalry and I'm sure there are more. So if you have any info on releases and what versions they contain lets add them to the thread so others know what to look for if this is a concern for them.  I'm starting to build my collection back so as I get more releases of films I'll add to the thread as well.

• Like 5

Upadate on Fist of Legend - Spain DVD release on Manga Films supposedly contains the original "international"  English dub.  All other DVD releases contain what people are calling the "Miramax" dub.  

• Like 3

Sorry if this post looks incomplete but still it's taken me a few hours to get this far.  

Police Story
Righting Wrongs aka Above the Law
The Young Master
Wheels on Meals
Police Story Part II
Police Story III: Super Cop
Armour of God
Dragons Forever
Project A
Project A Part II
My Lucky Stars
Island of Fire
Drunken Master II
The Big Boss
Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth
Zu: The Warriors from the Magic Mountain
Dreadnaught
Eastern Condors
The Millionaires' Express
The Iron Fisted Monk
Mr. Vampire

Police Story has 4 different English dubs (ED) plus 2 musical scores, the first by Michael Lai and second by Kevin Bassinson:

The original ED c. 1985 found on most ED VHS releases prior to 1998 as well as the Eureka and Criterion BDs. A cut/edited version of Police Story called Police Force uses the Kevin Bassinson music and is found on VHS tapes (I'm not sure what labels) and the Eureka BD (it might be on the Criterion but I'm not sure)?

New Line dub c. 1998 is found on the New Line Home Video VHS/LD

Media Asia dub c. 2000 or 2001 is found on the Hong Kong Legends (HKL) DVD

Fortune Star dub c. 2004 is found on the Dragon Dynasty (DD) DVD, Shout Factory DVD/BD and Eureka BD.

(I think most of the Media Asia/Fortune Star dubs are done by Omni Productions.)

Righting Wrongs aka Above the Law has 2 EDs the original (c. 1986) can be found on the Video Programme Distributors and PolyGram Video VHSs. The c. 2007 Dragon Dynasty DVD has a new Fortune Star dub.

Winners & Sinners has 2 EDs. The new Fortune Star dub is found on the HKL DVD. I assume the original is on VHS?

The Young Master has 2 EDs The original ED might only be for the export/international cut/edit it can be found on the Video Collection International VHS and I assume other VHS version. The new dub is on the HKL DVD.

Wheels on Meals has 2 EDs both with different musical scores. Both dubs are on the Eureka BD. I assume the original ED was released on VHS. The new Fortune Star dub c. 2004 is found on the HKL DVD.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@Chorake is knowledgeable on this sort of thing. Perhaps the most knowledgeable on this forum when it comes to movies with multiple English dubs?

• Like 3

Iron Angels/Angel has 2 different english dubs the 2nd and later one is on Far East flix's dvd version of the VHS the 1st original was on youtube but has since been taken down by the original uploader

Edited by actionfan93
  • Like 3

The history of the dubs for The Big Boss and Warriors Two has been discussed in threads/topics before.

Below are links to the relevant threads:

'The Big Boss - Original English Dub....' started by @fabhui

(https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/topic/10034-the-big-boss-original-english-dub/)

'Warriors two with original english dub' started by @brookman3325

(https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/topic/11396-warriors-two-with-original-english-dub/?_rid=5639)

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 9:34 PM, SmackBurton said:

I have been on a search for the original dub (English) of The New Legend of Shaolin and have come to the conclusion that either it has never been released on DVD or the copies are so scarce that I haven't been able to find any info or even a picture of the DVD release.

I've got it on a VHS.

Tai Chi Master aka Twin Warriors - Dragon Dynasty DVD features new English dub.  Heard the original dub on a bootleg VHS.  There is another thread talking about Twin Warriors original dub that might have more information on releases.

It's on the Indian VCD I've got; it's cut, though.

Dragon Dynasty uses it to patch bits cut from the Dimension version.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:32 PM, SmackBurton said:

Upadate on Fist of Legend - Spain DVD release on Manga Films supposedly contains the original "international"  English dub.  All other DVD releases contain what people are calling the "Miramax" dub.  

Correct. I've got it. It also appears on the Indian VCD by Diskovery.

• Like 3

pendrekman

Does anyone have Fist of Legend Manga DVD i want that export dub to add on UHD.

northern b

Drunken Master- The dub I prefer is the dub that is on the  Made In Hong Kong VHS!

The HKL DVD ( which i bought years ago expecting the same dub) and Eureka BLU Ray ( seen the trailer so not purchasing) do NOT contain this dub 

dionbrother

I think BLOOD OF THE DRAGON(DESPERATE CHASE) has two different dubs.  The second one has the music by Flood and the dub script was rewritten by future Sharky's Machine and Primal Fear novelist William Diehl.

56 minutes ago, dionbrother said:

I think BLOOD OF THE DRAGON(DESPERATE CHASE) has two different dubs.  The second one has the music by Flood and the dub script was rewritten by future Sharky's Machine and Primal Fear novelist William Diehl.

i think my german DVD has two different english tracks. i'd have to check.

• Like 1