Two Films With Hiroyuki Sanada

Guest David G Rees

Guest David G Rees

Just watched two films recently both with Mr Sanada and would like to give my views on both.

First was Aegis, a drama set on the Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force ship, Isokaze.During a training exercise, the ship is taken over by foreign agents. While the rest of the crew are forced to abandon the ship, the terrorists make their intentions known to the government. Unless their demands are met, the Isokaze will fire an American chemical weapon into Tokyo.Sengoku (Sanada) finds a way back onto the ship to try and wrestle the Isokaze away from the terrorists.

A fine film and a good performance from the now older Sanada who has matured into a good solid lead actor. While the film does have its action its more of a tense drama, worth a watch but only available on an expensive Japanese import dvd at the moment as far as i know.

The second film was The Promise from Chinese director Chen Kaige. While beautiful to look at, if ever there was a film where overuse of CGI spoilt a film then this is it!

The confusing story starts with a young orphan, who, driven by poverty, makes a promise with an enchantress. The promise, is that she will get the admiration of every man in the land, yet if she falls in love with someone, she will lose them with the spell not being able to be reversed unless the dead come back to life and time goes backwards.

While i have not seen the directors other more dramatic films here it just seems like style over substance with a story trying to fight its way out from beneath the over the top visuals.

No doubt mainstream critics will liken it to Crouching Tiger and Hero but it is nowhere near the quality of those 2 films....Sanada is good in the role of the war general but overall it is hard to reccomend this film...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000

You missed our Promise thread but you pretty much said what most of us did --- it sucked.

I too saw Aegis and I liked for a fun movie. Based on a novel written by a US author it played like Die Hard on a ship.

Archived