90's dubbing sessions

Guest tigerstyles

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man

Great great stuff. Awesome tigerstyles. :D

Now I finally know what those losers who doing the voices for that awful Killer English dub, and all the other dubs that group did (like Hard Boiled), look like. :lol

Kind of interesting to see that the Chinese and English dub sessions were done in an almost identical fashion. I know that the HK companies were the ones that commissioned those English dubs for international use, and many do to this day, but it never struck me they were done in almost the same way.

It also confirms my suspicions that those crap dub teams were working from the crappy English subtitles and never bothered to hire consultants. On top of that, they say comedies wouldn't work because it wouldn't translate but that's largely because they would only receive subtitles that were crap which didn't make any sense to begin with. That's why you get so many of those old dubs with bad dialog and plenty of errors such as names of characters.

Interesting to see that footage and see how much better and different the process has improved by more professional companies with real talent here in the US. Some of these companies get the scripts done with language consultants rather than the translations used for release.

Guest gfanikf

Amazing stuff

Plus for Godzilla fans these are the guys who dubbed the 90s and onwards Godzilla dubs.

I wouldn't say losers, I'm suprised how many of them look normal. I was expecting some massively over weight guys.

Granted I haven't watched the dub of HB in years I didn't think it was to bad. Heck its how I first saw the film

I also think in all fairness to these guys they didnt get paid enough to really justify a consultant being able to be hired plus how many they had to do. Interestingly I guess ATLAS used these guys for A Better Tomorrow when they created the dub.

Which leads me to a lot of questions.

1. When does a film get dubbed pre sale or post sale? It would seem that it varies greatly.

2. Do the buyers pay the HK studios to do the dubbing for them and then they just send it to these guys.

3. I wonder if WanChaiTransiet recgonizes any of these people?

Guest The Running Man
Interestingly I guess ATLAS used these guys for A Better Tomorrow when they created the dub.

The guys you see up there in that clip only did the English for part 2. Part 1 was done by a group in London I believe.

I wouldn't say losers, I'm suprised how many of them look normal. I was expecting some massively over weight guys.

I say losers because of lack of talent. ;) But you are right. They don't look like anything I expected them to look like. Like the guy who has done Chow Yun Fat's voice in all of those horrible English dubs. He looks nothing like I thought he would look like. In fact, watching that clip...it looks like those guys are being dubbed themselves as they speak!

Plus for Godzilla fans these are the guys who dubbed the 90s and onwards Godzilla dubs.

These aren't those guys.

When does a film get dubbed pre sale or post sale? It would seem that it varies greatly.

All major films that HK, and to some extent Japanese, studios expect to have easy business intentionally always gets dubbed before sales. To this day it still goes on with studios like Media Asia and Fortune Star who has made those new dubs for the Star TV catalogue.

Do the buyers pay the HK studios to do the dubbing for them and then they just send it to these guys.

Most of the time the HK studio pays for the dubs. Only in recent years have local distributors in the US have been paying for their very own dubs.

Guest Markgway
In fact, watching that clip...it looks like those guys are being dubbed themselves as they speak!

I know what you mean. It's as if those voices belong to someone else as I'm so used to hearing them come from Chinese mouths.

Guest MissScarlett01

I know a guy who use to be one of those dubbing guys (70s I think). He's British but speaks Chinese. Said they'd give him and the other guys a stack of scripts and they'd have a week to get them all done--do all the voices for all the different characters. He's still good at voices. :P He also admitted that sometimes they made up the lines for what was going on. Explains a lot, huh?

About a year ago, I bought a collection of "50 great" martial arts films. Most aren't so great, but still entertaining. My favorite line of all times from a dubbed film came from one of those films, "He's not a mainstream ninja..." Eh? :\ What exactly is a mainstream ninja then? Anyway, made me think of my buddy the former film dubbing guy.

Guest buff jackson

That was very interesting. Especially after watching that, I can not believe how many post are people wanting english dubbed titles. Or want english dub, but complain about surround effects by Celestial. I hate dub-titles as they did with "Fearless". I want original subtitles only.

Guest gfanikf

Well you have to understand they were not the optimal dub team from the 70s but more mid 80s and on, the former is the one that are fondly remebered by fans. Still unlike with Celestial they never really dicked around with the foley mixes that often that I can recall. Plus I still love the old Hard Boiled.

Archived