Interview with Korean film director NAM GI-NAM (Return of Red Tiger, Return of Fist of Fury, The Clones of Bruce Lee, etc)

Fansfilms

This is an interview I did with director Nam Gi-nam back in early 2019, only 7 months before he passed away. This was apparently his last interview :(

He talks about many of his late 70's and early 80's kung fu films along with other films such as the huge local hit Yong-gu and Daeng chiri 영구와 땡칠이 (1989)

* The only thing though is that there are no subtitles (yet) unfortunately.

Also, if you like VHS tapes check out my channel!

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer

Thanks for posting this Mathieu! RIP, but lucky you were able to capture his thoughts as a filmmaker that otherwise would have remained overlooked (I don't see a Korean Archive boxset coming out of his movies anytime soon :tongueout). Greatly looking forward to the subtitled version (I wrestled my way through, but definitely got lost at various points!). On a side-note, 'Return of Red Tiger' is the only movie I've ever given a 0/10 rating to over at COF (check it out here).

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Fansfilms said:

This is an interview I did with director Nam Gi-nam back in early 2019, only 7 months before he passed away. This was apparently his last interview 

Great work, like @One Armed Boxer I'm looking forward to viewing the subtitled version of the interview.

8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

On a side-note, 'Return of Red Tiger' is the only movie I've ever given a 0/10 rating to over at COF (check it out here).

Recall this one being Huang Kin-Lung most bonkers movie, that said there few movies from his filmogrpahy I've yet to view. Lost my old review of this, when the forums went down in 2016.

• Like 2

bruceleeclones

Excellent, did you cover any of the brucploitation movies during your interview? I didn't know he had passed away. Look forward to the subs

• Like 4

Clones Of Bruce Lee is a legendary landmark in the bruceploitation genre and whatever fans think of the movie (i love it) the director deserves respect for producing such unique movie.

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 1/8/2021 at 1:43 PM, Fansfilms said:

To put it in a "not too nice way" he was called the Ed Wood of Korean cinema.

Did he wear angora sweaters? ;)

I'm not sure being "the Ed Wood of" is such an insult these days when you consider he could be called "the Andy Milligan of" or "the Jerry Warren of" or even, god forbid "the Michael Bay of".

• Like 4

On 1/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, bruceleeclones said:

Excellent, did you cover any of the brucploitation movies during your interview? I didn't know he had passed away. Look forward to the subs

Yes, if you look in the video description on Youtube you have all the timepoints with the movies he's talking about.

• Like 3