Voice of Silence (2020) - Crime Drama with Yoo Ah-In

laagi

I have a lot of mixed feelings for this one. The acting (literally) of Yoo Ah-In is top notch! Some of the best I've seen for a while. Probably doesn't come as a surprise that he's one of the best paid artists in Korea. Also the cinematography of simple landscapes are absolutely gorgeous. The problem is in the story which over the course of 100 minutes doesn't really amass to anything. At the beginning there are some interesting thoughts and ideas, unfortunately about half-way through the movie gets a bit stuck. Also the character motivation at times are not believable. Which brings me to the biggest problem of the movie. It doesn't know what it wants to be. The overall topic is very serious and sad to be honest. However odd soundtrack choices and sprinkles of "comedy" ruin this mood. Really weird choices at times. A more overall serious tone and matured story or script would have lifted this way above an average movie. As for what it turned out to be it's a testament of great acting and beautiful camera work. At the end of day, unfortunately not much else.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

I'm thinking of proposing to rename this section of the forum 'Movies laagi has convinced OAB not to watch'.

That being sad, because of the cast I'll likely still check this one out, but good to know to go in with lower expectations.

• Like 2

I'm with @laagi on this one. This had potential to be something really special but it was just bogged down with a lousy script. I didn't really have a problem with the multi-mood tone of the film and I did enjoy the juxtaposition between the light hearted scenes with the little girls and the graphic scenes of violence on display (I have to admit I was a bit taken back by the level of gore). Yoo Ah-In did a very nice job playing a mute and just emoting with facial expressions and body gestures but every other adult character was just paint by the numbers. And what the hell was that ending? It was pretentious and wholly unsatisfying.

Edited by Yihetuan