Ming Dynasty (2019)

Iron_Leopard

I am hooked on this Chinese Historical drama. 

It seems to have received mixed reviews but I'm absolutely loving it. Maybe it's because I haven't watched many of these types of shows so I can't compare but I'm in episode 13 and I'm in Ming Dynasty heaven as it's my favorite historical period.

Anyone else seen or heard about this show before?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I am hooked on this Chinese Historical drama. 

It seems to have received mixed reviews but I'm absolutely loving it. Maybe it's because I haven't watched many of these types of shows so I can't compare but I'm in episode 13 and I'm in Ming Dynasty heaven as it's my favorite historical period.

Anyone else seen or heard about this show before?

Is it English subbed ?

I guess that it's this one ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_Dynasty_(2019_TV_series)

• Like 3

@Iron_Leopard, it is a good series.

I have not watched it all the way thru yet (I did cheated and fast forwarded thru a few episodes).

I initially decided to watch it because of the main lead actress Tang Wei. To me she is a good dramatic actress, you may also remember her as Donnie Yen's wife in Wu Xia, the lead in Ang Lee's Love, Caution as well as in other good films like Late Autumn, Crossing Hennessey and The Golden Era.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, thekfc said:

@Iron_Leopard, it is a good series.

I have not watched it all the way thru yet (I did cheated and fast forwarded thru a few episodes).

I initially decided to watch it because of the main lead actress Tang Wei. To me she is a good dramatic actress, you may also remember her as Donnie Yen's wife in Wu Xia, the lead in Ang Lee's Love, Caution as well as in other good films like Late Autumn, Crossing Hennessey and The Golden Era.

Her performance got bashed in this show and I don't know why. She seems fine to me.

I'm on episode 22 and the show has lost a little momentum after a certain big event in episode 16 we had been leading up to. I'm still enjoying it and will keep watching but 64 total episodes is a lot to watch for a series like this. You start to run into a lot of scenes where you can tell they are dragging it out.

But we'll see. This series covers the reign of 5 different Emperors at the start of the Ming Dynasty. And right now on episode 22 we are still focused on the third Emperor Yongle.

Edited by Iron_Leopard
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 8:37 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Her performance got bashed in this show and I don't know why. She seems fine to me.

Some say that the bashing is more politics than anything else.

I will not go into details but you can draw the conclusion from the following:

This is one statement that I read (I forgot where I read it from) "She is playing the role of Empress Sun, she is married to a Korean director (Kim Tae-yong), so she is not right for the role". 

I think that she she was great in the role.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
On 12/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, thekfc said:

Some say that the bashing is more politics than anything else.

I will not go into details but you can draw the conclusion from the following:

This is one statement that I read (I forgot where I read it from) "She is playing the role of Empress Sun, she is married to a Korean director (Kim Tae-yong), so she is not right for the role". 

I think that she she was great in the role.

I have to say. I'm on episode 30 now and I am really loving Tang Wei in this role. 

Ever since she became the Imperial Grandsons concubine she has gotten better and better.

This show is phenomenal. 

• Like 3