Buddhism and Martial Arts as Religion

Shosetsu

Buddhism is closely connected to the Martial Arts, and is even intertwined with it.  A well-known example is the Shaolin monks.  They are Buddhist monks, and the spirituality they learned from Buddhism was applied to their martial arts.  It is the application of the spiritual "chi" force which in Japanese is called "ki."  When applied by a Master, even the practitioner's voice can overwhelm his opponent.  Some Shaolin masters who are even elderly in their 80s can use their voice alone to overwhelm an opponent.  Even ladies can exhibit that ability too.  For example, there used to be a lady teacher, Miura-sensei, locally, who had that "ki" ability and used to teach the martial art of Naginata.

Along with that, the "ki" force is applied to weapons too.  In the modern version of Swordsmanship called Kendo, the kendoist can project his "ki" into his Shinai-weapon.  Opponents are said to actually "feel" the ki radiating from his weapon. 

A classic example of "ki" can be seen in the true story of the 47 Ronin, which had to do with the Sword of Oishi who had served Lord Asano who had been tricked unjustly into committing suicide.  As part of Oishi's secret plan, Oishi had to act as a drunken Coward.  In one of his drunken binges, he sprawled out drunken in a public area.  Everybody looked down at him in disgust and contempt for being a coward.  At that point, a wandering Swordsman happened to pass by.  He noticed that part of Oishi's Sword had come out of its scabbard, so he stooped down to examine it.  Since the wanderer knew about Swords, he could "feel" the ki radiating from Oishi's blade, and that "ki" showed that Oishi was actually courageous.  So he knew that Oishi was faking the cowardice.  The point here is of course the spiritual ki which is seen in even a Sword.

Nowadays the Martial Arts have come of age, where it's not so much about fighting but rather for building character.  That's why at a dojo, there is Respect for one's dojo-mates.   They have to bow not only to their teacher but also to their dojo-mates.  It's much more important to show respect rather than pride.  For example, there was a Kendo tournament where a kendoist won the match, but with pridefulness, he made a fist.   So he got penalized and lost his victory because he did not bow to his opponent but instead made a fist.  Because of his pride, he lost.

• Like 2

At first glance, the movie, Woman in the Dunes, might not look Buddhist at all.  But  if you really immerse yourself in it, some spiritual thoughts get conveyed.  I have to admit, though, that most critics see the movie as a Frank Kafka type of film where ideas are presented in a Surrealistic fashion.  But I interpret the film differently.  Instead, I see it as Buddhism.  Because in the film, the Dunes in the story's title refers of course to the Sand in which the Woman is trapped.  There is a distinctive similarity between that Sand and Japanese Zen gardens where the gravel is raked in specific patterns.  As part of their training, Buddhist monks use rakes to create specific patterns in the gravel as an aid to meditation and development of spirituality.  Gazing at the ripple patterns for a protracted period of time can gradually give meaning to one's life.  And this is what I see of Buddhism in the Dunes film.  Most viewers see it as Kafka-type existentialism but I see it as Buddhism.  Let's face it, film-making is an art-- and art is open to multiple interpretations.  And to me, the sand of the Dune film is much too similar to the use of gravel in the Japanese Zen gardens.  Because there is one especial segment in the film, where the camera focuses on just the sand itself, showing the sand moving as though it's alive.  It's quite a long segment where the camera dwells on the sand itself.

In the movie, the Woman in the sand-pit does not want to escape.  She seems resigned to her confinement there.  It brings to mind Bruce Lee's statement "Be water, my friend."  In other words, go with the flow.  But then this is what Buddhism has always taught from ancient times. So this is what I see in the sand from the movie, Woman in the Dunes.

What I wanted to convey in this thread is to share what I've learned from Buddhism and how I see its application in the martial arts.  In most of the films, they explain very little of the Buddhism, if at all.  Whenever we see the Buddhism, it is usually from the mouths of the Elder-monks instead of the young ones.  And since the young one is always the Title-character, the audience usually ignores the words of the Elder-monk.  But I notice those words, and, in fact, mentioned them in a separate thread in the Chinese Swords section.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Although the phrase "Be water, my friend" is closely associated with Bruce Lee, it actually originated from Buddhism.  Way before Buddhism came to China, Buddhism had nothing to do with martial arts at all, originally.  At that point, the lesson of " Be water" actually meant to endure and tolerate painful adversities in life by going with the flow.   Going with the flow and becoming like water is the calm acceptance of whatever adversity befalls you.  In the practice of Buddhist meditation, one learns how to accept adverse circumstances, and therefore learn and develop tolerance.

In other words, in its original form, the Water-analogy has nothing to do with fighting but instead with passiveness and pacifism.  It was much later when martial artists such as the great Swordsman Miyamoto Musashi adopted Buddhist precepts and then incorporated them into his Swordsmanship.  The Buddhism and Zen practice works well with Swordsmanship because a Swordsman with the calmness of mind and serenity can maintain composure and equanimity even in the face of death.  Sword is much different than empty hand combat because in empty hand usually a punch or a kick can just knock you out, only.  But in Swordsmanship, all one needs is  just a single cut to bring death.    To maintain your equanimity when living on a razor's edge.

• Like 1

@Shosetsu do you know anything about India's contribution to Chinese martial arts? I see a lot of Indian nationalists since the BJP & Modi got into power start claiming Chinese Kung Fu was originated in India. But my Indian friend told me that it's not documented by any historical record that Bodhidharma ever practiced or taught any martial art or ever stepped foot at any Shaolin monastery.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:07 AM, Yihetuan said:

@Shosetsu do you know anything about India's contribution to Chinese martial arts? I see a lot of Indian nationalists since the BJP & Modi got into power start claiming Chinese Kung Fu was originated in India. But my Indian friend told me that it's not documented by any historical record that Bodhidharma ever practiced or taught any martial art or ever stepped foot at any Shaolin monastery.

Good question.  Yes, I'm inclined to agree with your Indian friend as to lack of valid documentation.  Although I remember watching a Shaolin movie where the original practitioner was seen to be Indian and could accomplish superhuman feats.  Of course the basis is totally fictional as many movies are.  Although fictitious but it was presented as convincing.  On the other hand, what was quite valid was the weapons history in 5 Element Ninja because the preliminary credits showed actual ancient documents.  That provided authenticity but it was somewhat spoiled by the outlandish costumes worn by the Ninja.  Embarrassingly circus-like in a way.  But I forced myself to tolerate it because the fight scenes were so well done.  And plentiful enough for an action-addict such as myself.

Since you mentioned martial arts of India, what intrigues me is their weapon, the mantra-mukta because it uses mystical incantations.  It reminds me of the movie Makai Tensho where Sonny Chiba as Yagyu Jubei inscribed Sanskrit symbols all over his face to counteract against the demons.  Of especial interest to me was Jubei's use of the famous sword, the Muramasa, which, as you know, was notorious for being a cursed sword. 

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2

Interesting about the Indian divine force weapon which uses the power of "mantra" to unleash devastation. Obviously this is a weapon recorded in mythology with no practical application or basis but I'm not knowledgeable about Bollywood films at all. So I'm wondering if such weapons are shown being used in Bollywood films?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 4:09 PM, Yihetuan said:

Interesting about the Indian divine force weapon which uses the power of "mantra" to unleash devastation. Obviously this is a weapon recorded in mythology with no practical application or basis but I'm not knowledgeable about Bollywood films at all. So I'm wondering if such weapons are shown being used in Bollywood films?

There are actual techniques and practices used in actual martial arts that might seem supernatural. Just the use of the shout "kiai"---when it's used on your opponent, the opponent can feel the impact of an actual physical force.  Of course for the kiai to feel that impactful, the practitioner has to be especially advanced.  I saw it in actual practice at a local dojo during the Mid-1970s when Sensei Hanae Miura was teaching the Naginata.  At that time She and Helen Nakano were the only persons qualified to teach the naginata Outside of Japan.

Edited by Shosetsu
  • Like 2