Christmas Movies?

Koravec

@AlbertV Leave it to you to know all the cool indie xmas horrors haha. Threw on Slay Belles last season and wanted to keep watching it but had family in the house at the time and it seemed too inappropriate lol

• Like 3

I think Santa Claus (1898), the original Christmas motion picture? Or at least the oldest surviving Christmas movie I know of is worth a watch:

Inspired by @LingBro, who watched Bullet Ballet (1998) every day in April of 2019. I'm actually thinking of challenging myself to watch Santa Claus (1898) and The Snowman (1982) every day in December this year,

I think I might watch The Red-Wolf (1995) on New Year's Eve and The Time Machine (1960) on New Year's Day. I've been meaning to rewatch Dragon From Russia (1990) around Christmas for a few years now. Also while Rambo: First Blood (1982) and The French Connection (1971) have little references to Christmas, there's enough there (for me, at least) to give myself a good excuse to maybe rewatch them.

Edited by Omni Dragon
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Koravec said:

@Omni Dragon May I clarify, you want to watch both of those features every single day of the month? 😨

Yes, I am thinking about watching both of those shorts, every single day for the 31 days of December.

Santa Claus (1898) is less than 2 minutes, so I figure that will feel a bit like looking at a GIF animation or even a still photo for 1 minute and 16 seconds, every day.

The Snowman (1982) is around 26 minutes, so I realize that will feel more taxing.

• Like 3

This one is a Dutch X-Mas horror film, from director Dick Maas, in which St. Niklas Day (December 5) every 32 years when there's a full moon, the St. Nick we all love is actually a child-murdering bishop who after being burnt centuries ago by the townsfolk, comes back to wreak havoc along with his Zwart Piet army. When a cop, a former child survivor of the last attacks, learns the full moon is out again, he must help a college student who is accused of killing his two best friends clear his name and convince the police that St. Nick is back.

sint.jpg

Regular Maas collaborator Huub Stapel (The Lift, Flodder, Amsterdamned) goes a new route as he plays the murderous St. Niklas. Of course, when the film was first released, it caused controversy in the Netherlands, but today has a bit of a cult following. IFC Midnight released this under the title Saint Nick.

Quick trivia: Co-star Caro Lenssen is the daughter of one of Netherlands' most famous actors, Renee Soutendijk (Spetters, Eve of Destruction)

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 2

OpiumKungFuCracker
45 minutes ago, bigrogie said:

Every year my wife and I watch the classic It's a Wonderful Life.

Omg he's here!! Yes!! 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, laagi said:

Not sure if that's considered a classic stateside but this christmas short has been around in europe for as long as I can remember.

From what I've read Dinner for One, doesn't seem to be widely known in the US.

On a side note I don't think it was broadcast properly in the UK until 2018.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

From what I've read Dinner for One, doesn't seem to be widely known in the US.

On a side note I don't think it was broadcast properly in the UK until 2018.

I might have mistaken as this seems to be a short that is mostly shown during New Year. But I've certainly watched it countless times.

• Like 3

Dinner for One, certainly seems to be one of the most rerun/repeated TV programmes in the world (especially in Western Europe) around New Year's Eve/Christmastime.

• Like 2

Fatman has been added to our Christmas movie lineup alongside Die Hard and Elf.  Great movie.  Can’t recommend it enough. 

• Like 3

I finally watched the original Gremlins and honestly I'm ashamed that it took me this long.

What a great movie! Something completely different as far as your typical christmas movie goes. Some of the stuff is so dark :laugh And yet I loved every damn minute of it.

Not to mention the incredible creature effects. Say what you want but I'll take those over CGI any time of day.

Highly recommended and definitely a movie I plan to re-visit more often during the holidays.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

Watched "A Christmas Carol(1938)" last week. It was pretty good. Probably not the best version I've seen, but it was decent. It just felt kind of rushed and felt like a lot a lot of stuff was left out. But I did like Reginald Owen as Scrooge tho.  

Also watched a short film(Around 21 minutes) right after called "Star in the Night(1945)" that was brilliant(No pun intended). Basically, it was a sort of modern take on the story of the birth of Jesus. I mean, its not actually Jesus being born, but more like the events of his birth are happening again, but this time in the American West. Anyways, I liked it a lot and defiantly recommend it if you don't mind older films. 

• Like 2

I watched The French Connection (1971) with my parents for our Christmas Eve viewing. It may not be the most Christmassy movie, but still it does have Gene Hackman in a Santa suit near the start, Christmas decorations around parts of the city and the cold winter like atmosphere is very noticeable. To be honest I think I rather like movies that just happen to be set around Christmas and not necessarily centred around it. They feel like movies I'd watch the rest of the year and usually are as enjoyable.

• Like 2

Last night I watched; You Better Watch Out (1980) aka Christmas Evil:

To me it felt a lot like Taxi Driver (1976) but with a Christmas obsessed character.

• Like 2