Fatal Contact (aka Underground Fist) (2006)

Guest Elhcay

Guest Beat TG
As for the fights, easily some of Nicky Li Chung-Chi's best choreography, especially when Wu Jing hits Kenji Tanigaki and at the same time Andy On flips and hits Wu Jing.

I found the choreo mostly mediocre and uninspired. Wu Jing vs Xing Yu was the best fight but even that wasn't so enjoyable to watch. Invisible Target (Nicky choreographed the fights) is much better fighting-wise.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a while since I watched this but I remember enjoying most of it. Always remembered the ending sucks and totally disliked the lovey-dovey parts from Wu Jing, Miki Yeung.

The fight scenes weren't bad. Except for the odd 1 or 2 weird wires used, it was fine. If there was anything 'great' about the movie, it has to be Ronald Cheng who provided the better acting without being over-the-top funny and some convincing fighting.

Guest will91XingYu

I htough Fatal Contact was good, i love Wu Jing and his fight with Andy On and Kenji Tanikagi was good so was his fight with Xing Yu (i would say that) but there wasn't really an end fight, i like what ive seen of Invisible Target so far.

I've just watched the UK release of Fatal Contact (cineasia) & it reminded me of an article that i'd read about the mainland version of the film. I haven't seen it but I understand its much changed from the hk print largely due to censorship cutting the references to triads & prostitution, but what did interest me about this version is that there is apparently an additional fight scene in which Kong (Wu Jing) uses Mantis fist. Sadly it doesn't appear on this disk as an extra so I was wondering if anyone has seen this scene & is it worth buying a different version for it?

Chinatown Kid

I have the DD release and can't remember if that Mantis fight is in there or not because it's been a while since I watched it, I'll check it out again and report back to confirm unless someone else already knows and posts....

I saw this last week for the first time and really enjoyed it. Like one of the posters above mentioned, I really like when they use wirework just to accentuate a fighter's moves without making it too unrealistic.

I also agree that the drama part of the story wasn't that interesting but for me I was always in it for the fight sequences anyway, and there were quite a few good scenes.

SlothStyleKungFu

Didnt like it. The fights were okay, but they did not in any way make up for the mediocre directing and terrible story/acting.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Oh whatever OP, this movie was a benchmark in wu Jing's career as it was suppose to catapult him into super-stardom. This movie doesn't get enough recognition and the love it deserves. Some of the best athleticism by a screen fighter that I've ever seen. This movie is up there as one of the best martial arts in the last 8 yrs or so, right?

Are any wires involve in this movie whatsoever? If not, I stand by my statement.

There are definitely wires in this film.

OpiumKungFuCracker
There are definitely wires in this film.

Shit, Son Of A Gun!:tinysmile_angry2_t: Oh well, they were able to disguised it very well in the film.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Whatever happened to Running Man?

He ran with Yi-Long and DragonSword last I checked. Remember those two geniuses?

Whatever happened to Running Man?

I used to keep in touch with him from time to time in gmail whenever we wanted to trade films. Seems like he's going through alot in his life right now and no longer has time for forums and film trading.

Oh whatever OP, this movie was a benchmark in wu Jing's career as it was suppose to catapult him into super-stardom. This movie doesn't get enough recognition and the love it deserves. Some of the best athleticism by a screen fighter that I've ever seen. This movie is up there as one of the best martial arts in the last 8 yrs or so, right?

I really enjoyed this movie despite the wire work and it's a shame that Wu Jing never went on to greater things.:squigglemouth:

Maybe in a few years he'll be the next Donnie Yen and be the next big star, with movie producers missing out on his talent during his best possible years.

Archived