Huo Yunjia's actual style

NoKUNGFUforYU

NoKUNGFUforYU

While movies have represented him with Jeet Kune Do, Wushu, some weird karate, and southern fist, here is an actual form. I noticed one thing, and for me this puts him ahead of many Chinese martial artists. When they do Tan Tui (Explosive kicking practice forms in a straight line) All kicks are done on both sides- from basics to jump side kick! Most Northern schools would neglect one side because why practice on your bad side? Because you will get a muscle imbalance, idiot! That's why I got injured partly when doing Wu Shu, and when I brought up that we should practice both sides, even if we favored one in sparring my know it all instructor just shook his head. 

The form is nice and this is what a true northern style would look like.

• Like 8

NoKUNGFUforYU
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Mizong Quan is, from my memory of the BD commentary, the style Jackie learns in New Fist of Fury...and then barely uses!

Jackie was mostly southern style. There's that Bruce Lee interview where he mentions being accidently hit by Bruce and they talk for a bit and Jackie says that he told him he was studying southern fist.

• Like 6