The Call (2020) Korean Horror on Netflix

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

'The Call' is the latest victim of the pandemic, skipping cinemas and going straight to Netflix, but at least for us Korean cinema fans overseas it's giving an opportunity to watch movies at the time of their release which we'd usually have to wait to hit Blu-ray.  The debut of Lee Chung-hyun, the plot takes the Korean favorite of two characters interacting with each other from 2 different periods in time (in this instance, 20 years apart), and decides to use the trope to craft a remarkably strong horror flick. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-call-2020-review-netflix-korean-remake-the-caller/

EmbI5q2VgAAljyN.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 5:05 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Thanks for the review. This one was on my radar.

Yes, what brother @Drunken Monk said. I was interested in this one, but thanks to your review, I now know to invest some time into checking it out.

• Like 4

I'm not quite as enthusiastic as @One Armed Boxer in his review.

It's a well crafted thriller that keeps you at the edge of your seat. Featuring two great female leads!

Here's my problem however. There's a certain "decision" which basically keeps the movie afloat. If it weren't for that the whole story would just simply fall apart or basically would be resolved without any further consequence.

To make matters worse I felt it was just too much on the nose. I wouldn't go as far as saying it ruined the movie for me but after that I didn't quite have as much empathy for our female protagonist as I would have liked to.

Again it was saved by the aformentioned. But it stumbles more than once over its own story telling... just too many coincidences. Nevertheless if you can forgive all that, it's still a korean thriller worth checking out. Even just for the great performances!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 12/15/2020 at 8:24 AM, laagi said:

Here's my problem however. There's a certain "decision" which basically keeps the movie afloat. If it weren't for that the whole story would just simply fall apart or basically would be resolved without any further consequence.

I'm curious which decision you're referring to!  Can you spill the beans (but obviously use the Spoiler functionality to keep it hidden from our members who've yet to check it out!).

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 1:30 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

I'm curious which decision you're referring to!  Can you spill the beans (but obviously use the Spoiler functionality to keep it hidden from our members who've yet to check it out!).

Spoiler

During one of their earlier phone calls Seo-Yeon tells (by accident) Young-Sook that she would end up in prison. This is after the strawberry farmer disappears and Seo-Yeon sees the case file in the police station. This pretty much sets everything in motion...

At least that's how I remember. Sorry watching too many movies lately.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3