Some observations on Enter The Dragon.

shukocarl1441996347

shukocarl1441996347

Like most films, if you think too much about them - a lot doesn't make sense or there is connecting information missing that could have been covered In a line or two of dialogue. I'm going to point out a few things that  you don't see in Enter the Dragon (not talking about the tie-in novel or printed scripts) on the screen, and others that you see that don't make sense.

1. Who does Braithwaite work for? It 's not an "agency of enforcement" but they can get others to do the dirty work.

2. How does he recruit Lee? Does he see him on t.v. or something and say -"ah, he'll do"?

3. Han was a Shaolin Monk, and the left to become a big crime boss and buy an island. Where did he get the money to do this?

4. The Junk trip has only 4 competitors on board. Did the rest get and earlier boat?

5. At the banquet Roper tells Williams to "keep an eye out for the referee". What does he mean?

6. Lee prowls around at night and fights several guards. Next day Bolo kills some, but to my eyes NOT the same guards.

7. Han kills Williams but not before he crashes through a flimsy wall revealing a group of drugged up hookers. Does Han keep them nearby for a stroke and a smoke?

8. Han tells Roper about his "lost, drunken men" but they look far from it later.

9. When all hell breaks loose, where are Han's "Daughters -his most personal guard"?

10. Lee follows Han into the mirrored room. Apart from seeing an ornamental bathtub...what's it for?

11. Are those U.S. Marines racing to the rescue in (then) British Hong Kong?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

3. Where did he get the money to do this?

The funds came from the opium business he ran, looking at the size of his factory he was shifting it in large amounts.

5. At the banquet Roper tells Williams to "keep an eye out for the referee". What does he mean?

Do they think the referee is being biased towards some of the fighters?. Was the more to this in the original script?.

6. Lee prowls around at night and fights several guards. Next day Bolo kills some, but to my eyes NOT the same guards.

There probably the other guards who had been on night duty and failed to spot Mr Lee late night activities?. The grounds for Han palace were supposed to be pretty large.

Nice post @shukocarl1441996347, you've made some very good points there.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

If Ohara is Han's personal bodyguard, why is he never with him during the island scenes?

Hans character always has his army of Martial Artist's and other guards around him. Maybe O'Hara just accompanies him for mainland visits or buisness deals?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

shukocarl1441996347
52 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The funds came from the opium business he ran, looking at the size of his factory he was shifting it in large amounts.

Do they think the referee is being biased towards some of the fighters?. Was the more to this in the original script?.

There probably the other guards who had been on night duty and failed to spot Mr Lee late night activities?. The grounds for Han palace were supposed to be pretty large.

Nice post @shukocarl1441996347, you've made some very good points there.

So why just kill THEM and not them all?

He needed money to buy the island...did he start his drugs business in a little back street shop and then save his money? Surely you can't just go to the other Drug Bosses for a loan?

We NEVER see a referee!

Why has Han got all his minions in Karategi practicing Age-Uke & Choku Tsuki when he's a Shaolin master? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

So why just kill THEM and not them all?

Maybe it would made the scene where Bolo dishes out Hans punishment too long?. If there had been twenty other guards up for punishment, that scene would have taken forever.

He needed money to buy the island...did he start his drugs business in a little back street shop and then save his money? Surely you can't just go to the other Drug Bosses for a loan?

He would have built it up over time, the movie doesnt reveal how long it took him to become a crime lord?. I'm guessing he was a young man when he left the Shaolin Temple?. By the time you see him in the movie on the Isand, he's an old man. It must have taken him most of his youth and middle age to acquire the wealth/contacts he had?.

We NEVER see a referee!

Was it Han himself who refereed the matches for his own tournament?.

Why has Han got all his minions in Karategi practicing Age-Uke & Choku Tsuki when he's a Shaolin master? 

Han's character had turned his back on the Shaolin temple and its beliefs. By the time he put his army of Karategi clad men together.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
3 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Is "Jig" a commonly used racial slur outside of this movie?

Jiggaboo is an old slur, but yeah... have heard "Jig" in several blaxploitation films when evil "whitey" is putting down the black characters.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 7:16 AM, shukocarl1441996347 said:

2. How does he recruit Lee? Does he see him on t.v. or something and say -"ah, he'll do"?

The first scene with Mr Lee & Mr Braithwaite  was originally longer. Maybe the extended version reveals more details?.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The first scene with Mr Lee & Mr Braithwaite  was originally longer. Maybe the extended version reveals more details?.

It seemed to me that Bruce Lee is recruited because Han and him are both Shaolin students and because Braithwaite wants Bruce to help him destroy Han's drug smuggling business, or am I mistaken ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It seemed to me that Bruce Lee is recruited because Han and him are both Shaolin students and because Braithwaite wants Bruce to help him destroy Han's drug smuggling business, or am I mistaken ?

They know he has a persoanl grudge against Han and his bodybuard O'Hara. You just don't know how they became aware of Mr Lee in the first place?. Unless their investigations into Han's activities, led them to find out what happened to his on-screen sister in Hong Kong?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

They know he has a persoanl grudge against Han and his bodybuard O'Hara. You just don't know how they became aware of Mr Lee in the first place?. Unless their investigations into Han's activities, led them to find out what happened to his on-screen sister in Hong Kong?.

From what I remember, Bruce learns what happened to his sister AFTER being recruited and I had understood that he was a kind of agent who has already worked for Braithwaite in the past, when I first watched this movie many years ago...

I guess that I should revisit it once again...😁

• Like 2

shukocarl1441996347
6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

From what I remember, Bruce learns what happened to his sister AFTER being recruited and I had understood that he was a kind of agent who has already worked for Braithwaite in the past, when I first watched this movie many years ago...

I guess that I should revisit it once again...😁

"WE?...Mr. Braithwaite?"

• Like 2