HKMDB changing years of release?

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Jesus Christ what a shitshow. Well, none of my beeswax how they run their site, but it looks like a rudderless ship to me as the production year over realese year very much have been implemented, rules or not. 

Chen Hung Lieh
24 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Jesus Christ what a shitshow. Well, none of my beeswax how they run their site, but it looks like a rudderless ship to me as the production year over realese year very much have been implemented, rules or not. 

A "rule" that supports the change of year was not implemented. A wrong year may have been "implemented", which was most likely a mistake. I see only one editor who argues in favor of production year, and he does not seem to get any positive feedback. But editors have to stick to the rules too. If they change something contrary to the rules, you can report it, and then it will be corrected.

I made the experience that corrections and additions are welcome in the forum, as long as you argue with reason and don't pop up there just for trolling or ranting.

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, Chen Hung Lieh said:

A "rule" that supports the change of year was not implemented. A wrong year may have been "implemented",

Maybe not "implemented" offically, but it certainly has been put into action by that guy who seems to think it is the apt approach. I do constant research for review purposes and the last say 50 titles I've looked up, over half had been "corrected" according to this guy's production over release year policy. It might not be the rule, but he seems to feel that he runs the show over there.

Anyways, I don't have time to infiltrate their forums and do their job for them. If they had any sense they would put that guy in his place or get rid of him, and go back to practicing their own rules they've set up. That's it.

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I do constant research for review purposes and the last say 50 titles I've looked up, over half had been "corrected" according to this guy's production over release year policy.

Can you give a few examples of films this has happened to?

The reason I ask is that the rule is that the date shown is the release date of that film in the country of origin. There are minimal exceptions. If there are films that have production date as the release date they need to be changed back.

Edited by Gaijin84

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Gaijin84 said:

Can you give a few examples of films this has happened to?

The reason I ask is that the rule is that the date shown is the release date of that film in the country of origin. There are minimal exceptions. If there are films that have production date as the release date they need to be changed back.

Off the top of my head I recently looked at A Killer's Blues released in '90, listed as '89. Whose Baby is in the Class Room? released in '70, listed as '69. My Son released in '70, listed as '69 and a ton of others, but I can't recall the exact titles right now. We're not talking a few instances.... it's a lot. Also, I get that in most cases the actual release date is mentioned in the initial data under the title with the aliases, origin, possible box office numbers etc. But the films should still be listed under those years.

Also, in some cases those years have even been changed, like in the case with Seven Grandmasters which has always been a 1978 title in every listing known to man, but is now a 1977 film. I would be curious as to what that change is based on.

Chen Hung Lieh
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

...Runaway Blues...

25 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

... A Killer's Blues... Whose Baby is in the Class Room? ... My Son...

These titles were changed into the Singapore release date:

http://hkmdb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55412&hilit=singapore

Seven Grandmasters is not among them.

Rule:

http://hkmdb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55412&hilit=singapore#p90704

"Movie "Year of Release"
If a film has been released in different years in different countries, the year of first release should be used in the film's "Year of Release" field, regardless of the actual country where it was released first."

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh
link corrected

TibetanWhiteCrane

Ok, well then maybe call it The Singapore Movie Data Base instead. I don't get the thinking behind this, as I also don't get why IMDB lists films under the year counting test screenings and festival showings. I don't agree with it, but hey.... not up to me.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
On 12/22/2020 at 8:29 AM, HKMDB_Harlock said:

the goal is to have all the jobs/crews with their real chinese titles...

Appreciate the effort, but this is more like a headache for those using the site.

I'm researching Tony Leung Siu-Hung, and the times when he was responsible for the action are now split into - 

Action Choreographer

Martial Arts Group

Action Designer

Assistant Martial Arts Director

Action Director

Assistant Action Director

Martial Arts Director

I'm sure these 7 categories can be quite easily whittled down to 2, as they were up until a few weeks ago.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Appreciate the effort, but this is more like a headache for those using the site.

I'm researching Tony Leung Siu-Hung, and the times when he was responsible for the action are now split into - 

Action Choreographer

Martial Arts Group

Action Designer

Action Director

Martial Arts Director

I'm sure these 7 categories can be quite easily whittled down to 2, as they were up until a few weeks ago.

A-fucking-men. None of this years and job description changing was needed.

• Like 2

HKMDB_Harlock

I wanted to explain to you the why of certain things but some of you seem too aggressive or childish to have a constructive discussion and I'm too old for kindergarten drama, sorry

TibetanWhiteCrane
2 hours ago, HKMDB_Harlock said:

I wanted to explain to you the why of certain things but some of you seem too aggressive or childish to have a constructive discussion and I'm too old for kindergarten drama, sorry

That's just pathetic, but whatever.... bye.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:17 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Action Choreographer

Martial Arts Group

Action Designer

Action Director

Martial Arts Director

Yeah, I'd brought that up before. Up until a couple of months ago, it was "Action Director" and "Assistant Action Director" and I'm sure we were all fine with that.

When I questioned @HKMDB_Harlock about it, he said that the goal was to have the filmography pages resemble the films' actual credits as closely as possible. I think it would be less cluttered to go back to the old way and then include the actual credit as described in the film in parantheses, similar to how the IMDB does it.

• Like 3

I can see what they're doing, and I also disagree with them like most of us here. To put it accurately, they are now translating (transliterating actually) exactly what the rolling credits at the end of those HK films in Chinese directly into English. That's why so many different categories sprung up and for the purpose of our interest in finding things like the release date and basic info on action director and such the new listings would appear complicated if not downright pedantic. They do have a reason to feel justified in what they're doing as it may seem to some native speakers of Chinese (like me) to cover all bases and include all necessary info. The big stuff up would be they're putting production year as the Chinese advertising title (unfortunately) does indeed use production date instead of release date. So to sum it up. they're copying word for word Chinese into English

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Comparing HKFA to HKMDB

Shaolin Kids - 7th May 1976 on HKFA, 28th June 1975 on HKMDB

18 Bronzemen - 1st April 1976 on HKFA, 28th October 1976 on HKMB

Return of 18 Bronzemen - doesn't seem to on HKFA, 20th October on HKMDB (which implies it came out a week before the first film!)

7 Grandmasters - no actual release date on HKFA but they say it's 1978, HKMDB says March '77 which is far too early

• Like 3