HKMDB changing years of release?

TibetanWhiteCrane

odioustrident

I think what may be happening is that Chinese language database sites are using terms like "Production Year" and HKMDB wants to match the data with their sources.

The below example is an entry for Lonely Famous Sword on a Taiwan database. I think the language used here is "Production Year."

https://taiwancinema.bamid.gov.tw/Film/FilmContent/?ContentUrl=17929&ContentUrl=17929

Other sites that I know HKMDB relies on, like Dianying.com, do not seem to mention production year.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
31 minutes ago, odioustrident said:

I think what may be happening is that Chinese language database sites are using terms like "Production Year" and HKMDB wants to match the data with their sources.

The below example is an entry for Lonely Famous Sword on a Taiwan database. I think the language used here is "Production Year."

https://taiwancinema.bamid.gov.tw/Film/FilmContent/?ContentUrl=17929&ContentUrl=17929

Other sites that I know HKMDB relies on, like Dianying.com, do not seem to mention production year.

Which is retarded because everyone with a brain knows you go by release year. I'm just genuinly sad that this great research tool and source of information is going down the shitter. Hopefully someone who has acces could maybe talk to them. I tried to contact them about a hundred times through the years with corrections, updated info, questions etc. and never heard a peep back.

• Like 4

They also have the Dragon Lee movie Last Fist of Fury(1977) in their Bruce Lee filmography. I'm not aware of any version that uses Bruce Lee footage in the film?.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Someone has put a March 1976 release date for SUPER DRAGON on HKMDB...which doesn't explain the Star Wars music.

Yeah, I've tried to make a similar case for Seven Steps of Kung Fu being a 1980 release on the same grounds. It uses both Battle Creek Brawl and Sea Wolves music, both released in mid 1980, but is listed everywhere as 1979. I asked Chang Shan, the white haired villain, and he said it was shot in '79, but was not sure when it was released. Though unless they time travelled, it's pretty clearly an '80 release.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I asked Chang Shan,

You mean you personnally know this actor ?!

Well, I would love to know some, no, MANY of my favorite actors !!

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

You mean you personnally know this actor ?!

Well, I would love to know some, no, MANY of my favorite actors !!

No, not personally. I'm "friends" with him on Facebook and asked him a few questions in PMs using an online translator. Very nice and forthcoming...... and not at all evil :)

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor
9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

They also have the Dragon Lee movie Last Fist of Fury(1977) in their Bruce Lee filmography. I'm not aware of any version that uses Bruce Lee footage in the film?.

That's because LAST FIST was edited into THE REA,L BRUCE LEE. It shouldn't be on HKMDB, as it's a South Korean movie edited into an American compliation movie!

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

I've been trying to join HKMDB for a while with no luck, how did this fact-challenged interloper succeed?

No fucking idea what's going on over there.... but it's out of control. I noticed they also changed some names. They were usually pretty good with having a multitude of aliases and various spellings for each actor, but there were recently two I couldn't find through the search engine that I have been able to find before by what I type in. One was the kid from Magic Crystal, Siu Ban Ban... and he was called that on there until recently. Now that name has been removed and is no longer searchable, and he is called something else.... no clue as to why. I think the other one was Chang Yi.... not under that name anymore.

I really hope someone with access reaches out to them to get some answers.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 3

The HKMDB have now added a Singer section to thier Jackie Chan page. I haven't noticed this for any other Asian actors who also sang/released songs.?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The HKMDB have now added a Singer section to thier Jackie Chan page. I have this done this for any other Asian actors on the site?.

Yes. It seem Samuel Hui Koon-Kit, Sammo Hung, Anita Mui and Kenny Bee also have it. HKMDB also seems to have listed 'Theme Song Composer' and 'Lyrics' on the page about Sam Hui: http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=3921&display_set=eng

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

Yes. It seem Samuel Hui Koon-Kit, Sammo Hung, Anita Mui and Kenny Bee also have it. HKMDB also seems to have listed 'Theme Song Composer' and 'Lyrics' on the page about Sam Hui: http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=3921&display_set=eng

If so, there should also be a singer section for Adam Cheng, Connie Chan, Josephine Siao, Fung Bo Bo, Li Lihua, Ivy Ling Po, Agnes Chan, Irene Chan, Chin Feng and so on, and so on...

• Like 4

Yeah it had gone a bit downhill since Ryan had left. I helped Ryan out during my college days and did a bit of work on it post-Ryan but now I can't even get in the old message boards as I get this SQL error. I eventually said f it and gave up. 

• Like 3

HKMDB_Harlock

if you think HKMDB is going downhill since Ryan has left, it proves me you don't know anything about this site... its been 18 years im an editor and i have never seen you except for 2-3 forum posts.... i had a good laugh reading this thread... thanks

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HKMDB_Harlock said:

if you think HKMDB is going downhill since Ryan has left, it proves me you don't know anything about this site... its been 18 years im an editor and i have never seen you except for 2-3 forum posts.... i had a good laugh reading this thread... thanks

So...Maybe you could explain why It's impossible to use the hkmdb forum ?

I registered there years ago and tried to post something or ask a question, I don't remember, and I never succeeded in login in nor in posting...

I love this site and it's very useful to me, so, I hope that it will last on the internet for still many many years...

• Like 1

HKMDB_Harlock

the forum was locked for many years but now it's unlocked for registration , try again maybe

Problems or questions? Please contact the HKMDB administrator at bkasten@octavian.net.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, Killer Meteor said:

It shouldn't be on HKMDB, as it's a South Korean movie edited into an American compliation movie!

Well, they've always made exceptions for old school South Korean chopsockeys. I personally don't care about that, to be perfectly honest.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:34 AM, HKMDB_Harlock said:

Good day, sir. Can you explain the bit about breaking up the filmographies into Action Director, Martial Arts Consultant, Action Designer, Martial Arts Director, Action Choreographer, and what have you? I'm curious as to what the rationale was.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

There is a ton of work being done on HKMDB every day, trying to get it even more accurate. If there were any dates, attributes or job titles changed, a lot of research went into the decision and was agreed upon by multiple people. 

Totally off topic but somewhat related, it appears that the Hong Kong Film Archive site has switched urls, it's now:

https://mcms.lcsd.gov.hk/Search/hkFilm/enquireAdvancedSearch!

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

Listing films under production years instead of release years makes zero sense no matter what research was made and what people agreed.

• Like 1

Chen Hung Lieh
8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Listing films under production years instead of release years makes zero sense no matter what research was made and what people agreed.

After reading a discussion in the HKMDB forum about production years, it seems most HKMDB editors including the boss agree with you. I suggest you register there and start a topic to discuss this matter. Either there was a reason to change the year, or it was a mistake, and then I'm sure that it will be corrected.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

100% agree with this. If this is the logic that's going to be followed, then Jet Li's 'The Master' should be changed to 1989 from 1992.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
30 minutes ago, Chen Hung Lieh said:

After reading a discussion in the HKMDB forum about production years, it seems most HKMDB editors including the boss agree with you. I suggest you register there and start a topic to discuss this matter. Either there was a reason to change the year, or it was a mistake, and then I'm sure that it will be corrected.

But.... if most of them agree, including the boss, that it was a bad idea, why was it implemented? I'm thoroughly confused.

• Confused 1

Chen Hung Lieh
13 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

But.... if most of them agree, including the boss, that it was a bad idea, why was it implemented? I'm thoroughly confused.

To my knowledge it was never implemented, it's even against the rules. HKMDB is not perfect, I think some editor just made a mistake.

edit: The latest HKMDB forum topic about this matter:

http://hkmdb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55609

Edited by Chen Hung Lieh
added link
  • Like 1