Port of Call (2015)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

This forum should hang its head in shame for not already having a thread on this movie, but having one for 'Murderer'! This was a rare return to Cat III filmmaking in 2015, in an even rarer case of a HK movie receiving no funding from the Mainland, and what a difference it makes (for all the right reasons)! Based on the true story of a 2008 murder case which saw a 16 year old girl from the Mainland who'd gotten herself involved in compensated dating murdered by one of her customers, 'Port of Call' is equal parts murder mystery and character study. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/port-of-call-directors-cut-2015-review/

Thanks to @laagi for making me take this one out of the to-watch pile!  (It's now only 10 floors high)

port-of-call.jpg

• Like 6

Fantastic film, fantastic acting, in my book definitely one of the best real HK movies in recent memory (even though it had a lil' `Korean feel' to it). Just make sure to watch the extended cut, motives become a lot clearer and you get a much better grip of the story. I remember that once they had the (extended) director's cut out the film was brought back to the big screen in HK. I couldn't understand how many people were sleeping on this movie once it came out on blu.

• Like 5

I can only agree with everything that's already been said. It's such an outstanding film! Not an easy one though. It's been a while since I watched it but from what I remember it was gut wrenching at times. What I also loved about the movie it didn't try to point fingers or paint any of the protagonists as evil. It plays out as real as it can and as viewer you're left as a witness to a horrendous crime. One that leaves you shocked and at the same time really keeps you thinking about long after. Who's to blame? Well that's probably something each one of us has to decide for themselves. Coming with my personal highest recommendation!

Edited by laagi
  • Like 6

I've attended a festival screening and in all honesty, I don't share your love for Port of Call. Hearing all these praises however, makes me think maybe I misjudged the movie, so I'll probably give it another shot, especially if I can get my hands on that extended cut.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I've attended a festival screening and in all honesty, I don't share your love for Port of Call. Hearing all these praises however, makes me think maybe I misjudged the movie, so I'll probably give it another shot, especially if I can get my hands on that extended cut.

You should give it a second chance. Especially with the director's cut ;)

• Like 3