The Monkey King and the Water Margin from the 70s were a Japanese production

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

I just found this out, I'm watching monkey right now and it's english dubbed and it's freaking insane and shit. I'll get to the water margin after I'm done with this whacko show. Yall knew about this or any boomers on this site grew up with the shows? How did the Chinese reacted to these shows? Do they react the same way the West acts when something is not an accurate representation and they call on the Cancel culture squad? Yo let's get this discussion going baby! 

http://wearecult.rocks/monkey-the-complete-series-worldwide-blu-ray-premiere

MONKEY-BR-3D-e1598359618719.jpg?resize=5

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

The 70s Japanese Water Margin series was on tv here (Germany) in the early 80s but I did not watch it back then. It looks cheap but it does nevertheless grasp the spirit of the novel, and enables to follow the plot and characters. It's rather popular here, there was a DVD release in 2004 which was partly cut, and with German dub only. In 2018 there was a new release on DVD/ Bluray including cut scenes and original audio. 

516AR62V23L._SX342_.jpg

71auhdWawVL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

I found the Monkey series hit and miss,I was just too weird for me at the time,but the Water Margin,now that was a show.Great characters all with a different skill set and the English dub was fantastic.The action was top notch,not stylised more of a wavey style but still very enjoyable.Dont know if the Japanese company that made this were big at the time but the production was good,great sets,costumes and catchy theme tune.

I still have my original vhs set

6C3260FA-533C-44A3-ACDC-2EFC8C938E72.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
11 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I found the Monkey series hit and miss,I was just too weird for me at the time,but the Water Margin,now that was a show.Great characters all with a different skill set and the English dub was fantastic.The action was top notch,not stylised more of a wavey style but still very enjoyable.Dont know if the Japanese company that made this were big at the time but the production was good,great sets,costumes and catchy theme tune.

Dear lord that set looks beautiful 😍.  I can't wait to watch it after monkey!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

I just found this out, I'm watching monkey right now and it's english dubbed and it's freaking insane and shit. I'll get to the water margin after I'm done with this whacko show. Yall knew about this or any boomers on this site grew up with the shows? How did the Chinese reacted to these shows? Do they react the same way the West acts when something is not an accurate representation and they call on the Cancel culture squad? Yo let's get this discussion going baby! 

http://wearecult.rocks/monkey-the-complete-series-worldwide-blu-ray-premiere

MONKEY-BR-3D-e1598359618719.jpg?resize=5

Did you find the easter egg?

• Like 3

On 11/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, sym8 said:

Trying to read along with the bottom of those I feel like I'm trying to learn English lol.

Me dad had fond memories of these shows.  He knows I like kung fu so he's told me about the existence of these two shows he saw on the telly.  It would feel kinda weird watching what he did so I guess that's why I've never got around to it.

• Like 3