Fearless US DVD

Guest The Running Man

Guest The Running Man

I got this couple of days ago and cause of the Bullet in the Head and Police Story round ups I did, this one slipped by.

Real quick:

Two audio tracks. English and Mandarin both in 5.1. Both tracks are of equal quality which is very powerful and booming. Nice stuff.

Four (technically five if you count just the transltion for signs and text) subtitle tracks. English, French, Spanish, and an English HOH track. I believe the UK release only had an English HOH track. If that is the case, then you'd be happy to know this is not.

However, here's the catch. The English subs are dubtitles. The interesting thing though is that this DVD does something that I only have seen before on Lion's Gate DVD of New Police Story and their recently released DVD of Star Runner (which they renamed as, "The Kumite"). While the English subs are really dubtitles, the Spanish subs are actually a translation of the original language track. How that works is beyond me but such is the case. I wonder if these were also the same subs used for the theatrical release since I remember a friend of mine who saw it in theaters said that to him the subs used on the US release felt different.

Extras. A making of that runs about 16 minutes. Mostly interviews from Ronny Yu and Jet Li explaining the context of the film in Jet Li's career. A bit fluffy but not totally useless. Almost nothing about Fok Yun Gap in it. Interesting to note that early in the making of, they show some clips of the film and you see a quick shot of Michelle Yeoh. I don't know if that quick shot is in the movie but I don't remember it being there off hand.

The second extra is an interesting one and it's a cut scene from the film that was in the Thai release of the movie apprently. A bit of it made it's way on some online sites although the quality there was quite bad and the sound was off and could be the reason why many people thought the fight itself was not that good even though watching it here reveals it being nowhere near as bad as it seemed on the poorer online versions. Here on this DVD, the scene is presented in picture and audio that are of equal quality to the main feature itself, which is surprising. That means it's in anamorphic, full prgoressive, and carries a Mandarin 5.1 track. Subtitles are optional and they come in English, Spanish, and French. Sadly, the English subs for this deleted scene are only available in HOH.

I should also point out that the movie is available on this disc in two versions. "Unrated" and "Original theatrical version"., The "unrated" version is exactly the same as the Asian versions released. The "original theatrical version" was the version released in the states in the cinemas that had some seconds removed of violence in order to give it a PG-13 rating.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks again, I'm getting me the unrated version!

Sounds like both versions are on this disc.

They should have included the uncut version as the unrated version instead of having deleted scenes as an extra.

Guest chen lung

It has proper subtitles and the theatrical version (no violence edits made and the Thai boxer scene was excluded) AFAIK but no extras. £19.99 stinks badly for an ugly bare-bones release.

I'll wait for another version Ronny Yu said may come out.

Guest limubai2000
They should have included the uncut version as the unrated version instead of having deleted scenes as an extra.

This DVD has both the unrated original Chinese theatrical release AND the US theatrical release omitting some minor violence per RM's post. (I misread that bit at the end.)

The Muay Thai scene was supposed only released in the Thailand version of the film. Interesting that the US got it as an extra, Good on Universal for getting that bit. (Or maybe they got it in the version they were provided with and cut it for the theatrical release?)

If you are referring to the original version of the film with the Muay Thai scene, Olympics scene and Michelle Yeoh scenes/narration, that has not be released anywhere yet. It was rumored to be released this month in HK.

Guest The Running Man
This DVD has both the unrated original Chinese theatrical release AND the US theatrical release

Actually, now I have confirmed that the print released by Universal is a different one from the Asian prints in that this one includes at least one more scene not in the Asian prints.

On the US DVD, there is a scene that takes place right after Yun Gap gets beaten up by the bully and right before you see him in the calligraphy scene. It's a scene where he presents himself in front of his father (Ngai Sing) who reprimands him after he learns that he was son fighting. This is why you seem him doing the calligraphy because that was the punishment given to him by his father.

I wonder if there is anything else that's different between the prints. :)

The end of the year is nearing and still no word about the extended version of Fearless as mentioned by Ronny Yu. If there is no english subtitles on this version then the HDDVD combo US version may be the one to go for.

Guest Markgway
On the US DVD, there is a scene that takes place right after Yun Gap gets beaten up by the bully and right before you see him in the calligraphy scene. It's a scene where he presents himself in front of his father (Ngai Sing) who reprimands him after he learns that he was son fighting. This is why you seem him doing the calligraphy because that was the punishment given to him by his father.

Is that scene on the UK disc?

If so and the film's subtitled rather than dubtitled that seems to me like the better option.

Even if it doesn't have the bonus extras.

I don't recall if that scene was in the UK cinema prints.

Guest morgoth

I am going to rent this and watch it as many times as I can but I will have to hold out on buying it for the uncut version. Please let an uncut version come!

Guest Liu chung liang
Mostly interviews from Ronny Yu and Jet Li explaining the context of the film in Jet Li's career. A bit fluffy but not totally useless. Almost nothing about Fok Yun Gap in it.

:|

Just bought the US releases---it was a blind purchase, and it was a good one! Tons of great fight scenes, awesome production values, probably Jet's best acting performance, and a story with great depth and emotion. Awesome.

Guest Daisho2004

I bought the English release of Fearless, I don't like to buy movies twice since I have the HK version but I wanted to see the deleted Thai scene and see the special features of this movie and I wasn't disappointed at all, I just wish they would've left the deleted scene in the movie it was a good scene it ran about 6minutes. The English dubbed was done very well also. And there was no difference between the unrated and the original version.

Guest The Running Man

I agree they should have left the Thai scene in the movie.

And there are differences between the rated and unrated versions. The rated versions has a lot of the blood removed and bone breaks and cracks cut.

Guest morgoth

I disagree. I thought the deleted scene showed how good of a director Ronny yu is(which actually surprised me). Leavign it out made a much bigger impact on the ending when he comes just short of hitting the Japanese guy. But that is what deleted scenes are for. :D

Guest The Running Man

Not quite sure how that made the ending have a bigger impact. In fact, it actually really demonstrates why his character decides to leave and go back home.

Guest Daisho2004

The Thai Deleted scene: No I wish that would've left it in, when you thought he really hit him and then killed him but then you realize it was just a dream you see where it comes together for the finally fight scene in the movie.

**SPOILERS**

Nope, I gotta agree with morgoth. When I watched that deleted scene, the first thing I thought was "well done, but it was right to cut it because it definitely would have lessened the impact of him holding back the blow in the final fight"---because to me that was the central point and climax of the whole film, and you wouldn't have wanted that played out so clearly halfway through the movie.

Archived