18 Fingers of Death (2006)

Guest Dahnamics

Guest limubai2000

Mildly entertaining, Morita's last film before his death and he is best thing about it, no doubt. It has some good jabs at martial arts films in it, some of it is totally lame though.

Guest MissScarlett01
Morita's last film before his death and he is best thing about it, no doubt.

I'd agree with that 100%

As much as I wanted to like that film (Go James Lew!) it ranks near the top of "Worst Films I've Ever Seen." Pat Morita plays a straightman and is the only one who's funny. There was a lot of silly/stupid bathroom humor and a lot of other attempts at jokes that totally miss the mark. Knowing what I know now, if that film was a trap, I'd have chewed through my wrist to get away.

If you decide to suffer through it, don't watch the whole thing in one sitting. :x

My review from almost a decade ago:

18 Fingers of Death - This kung fu movie parody follows the life of a prolific, but unappreciated kung fu actor named Buford Lee (Hollywood stuntman James Lew, who also directed the film) and is shown as a documentary made by an aspiring filmmaker. We get to see him struggle to get together the funds to make his latest film, 18 Fingers of Death, along with footage of parodies of famous action stars like Jackie Chan (Robin Shou, who doesn't throw a single punch in the film), Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, Antonio Banderas (played by Lorenzo Lamas), and Billy Blanks (Bokeem Woodbine, who's channeling his character from The Big Hit).

Unfortunately, none of it is funny. It feels more like a Frieberg/Seltzer take on the material, other than a legitimate send-up, which is unfortunate, considering the B-movie roster. There are a couple of flamboyantly gay characters who are neither flattering to the gay community or funny to watch. There's a fight scene with all the combatants farting because of the Mexican food the actors had eaten before. The Steven Seagal parody is an overeating bulls***er. Yawn. Just not very good at all.

• Like 2