Fist of the Condor (2023) Marko Zaror & Ernesto Dias Espinoza project

ShaOW!linDude

This is a side note but the director of Headshot will apparently be directing Zaror alongside Yayan Ruhian in an upcoming movie called One Good Thing.

• Like 4

Oh yes! Finally a new Zaror/Espinoza collab, can't freakin' wait. I'm OK with rewatching Redeemer and Mirage Man over and over again, but a fresh dose of Zaror is more than welcome. 

Hopefully this team-up with Yayan delivers, he's been busy but I'm hoping for more Raid and less Yakuza Apocalypse or Beyond Skyline. 

• Like 3

• Administrator

This looks great! Lots of old-school kung fu training type sequences in the trailer are giving me the warm and fuzzies.

If only Marko Zaror was putting out the amount of movies like Scott Adkins (and some more with them co-starring) has in the last ten years, action cinema would be that much better for it.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that thinks this looks awful? I understand it probably didn't have much of a budget but it looks almost insultingly cheap. On top of that, the action does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I'm just a joyless old bastard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Am I the only one that thinks this looks awful? I understand it probably didn't have much of a budget but it looks almost insultingly cheap. On top of that, the action does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe I'm just a joyless old bastard.

But your our joyless old bastard. :wink:

There's not as thriving a film-making community there as compared to the USA, UK, Hong Kong, etc, so it stands to figure that it's going to have a bit of that look. But personally, I'm fine with that as seeing Zaror in action more than makes up for any other deficiencies the movies he's in may have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 5:39 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Nah not the only one but I wouldn't call it down right awful. Cheap that's for sure! To me the trailer felt more like a parody of older and (potentially) better? films. But who am I to judge. I'll wait for the finished product ;) As should you... geezer LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ShaOW!linDude
On 12/20/2022 at 10:34 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

If only Marko Zaror was putting out the amount of movies like Scott Adkins (and some more with them co-starring) has in the last ten years, action cinema would be that much better for it.

I've felt that same sentiment for years. Not every Adkins film is a gem, for sure. But you can count on him for solid action. I think the same could be said for Zaror. It's a shame he hasn't had the same opportunity to crank out a steady flow of action fare. He's so fun to watch.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Fist of the Condor is a low budget, art house throwback with elements of classic 70's kung fu flicks and 90's cheese. And I loved every fuckin' minute of it.
The best way I can describe it is that it feels like an extended version of a Bryan Sloyer short film. If you don't know Sloyer, he goes by "Sloyerstunts" on YouTube. He's known for making somewhat poetic (and possibly pretentious) martial arts shorts. Well, here Espinoza and Zaror take that formula and run with it. What we get is a picturesque film loaded with top not action and surprisingly interesting characters.

The plot is simple. Zaror plays two brothers: one evil, one good. The evil brother has stolen the "fist of the condor" manual. The good brother wants to find the evil brother and kill him. Along the way, he meets a number of people that think he's the evil brother and want to kick his head in. The evil brother has a student. After all, Zaror can't fight himself in the finale. This isn't The One. There are other aspects to the plot but I don't want to spoil anything.

While we get (well written) poetical musings and a hero's journey that's truly engaging, we also get Zaror beating the piss out of people. And it's beautiful. I'm honestly not sure he's looked better. While I personally think tricking is outdated, it's blended seamlessly into the action and with the phenomenal cinematography, it looks wonderful.
Besides the tricking, we get complex exchanges and flurries of blows that boil over with power and precision. Even a goofy little bar brawl looks amazing with Zaror ferociously booting people across the screen.
I can promise you that you won't be let down by the action on display if you Zaror's previous work. Or even if you don't. What's on display is masterful.

Sadly, the horrendous wigs in this movie aren't as masterful as the fights.

This film isn't everyone's cup of tea though. It's not adrenaline filled and is a more quiet, contemplative flick. Some might even think it's a little "padded" with unnecessary flashbacks. Me? I loved them. Good old fashioned kung fu training sequences!
My point is, if you're looking for something like Scott Adkins' Accident Man or even the Zaror co-starring Undisputed III, then head for the hills. Fist of the Condor is uniquely subdued.

Thankfully, the action is fairly frequent. It's not packed to the rafters with fight scenes but there are more than enough to please the average action fan. 
They're pretty varied too. I don't know how old Man Soo Yoon is but even he gets a brief throwdown and he looks fantastic for an older guy.

It doesn't outstay its welcome either. It's roughly 80 minutes long and that is PERFECT. Any longer and I can imagine some viewers getting a bit tired of its tone. As it is, it gets in, tells its story and then gets the hell out.
It does need one more fight in its second half but that's a minor gripe. Fist of Condor is a minimalist triumph and, for context, I preferred it to Donnie Yen's latest effort, Sakra, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Grade: A

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Drunken Monk
5 minutes ago, laagi said:

How on earth can folks in europe like myself watch this?! I couldn't find a single streaming service... So frustrating really!

It’s a Hi-yah exclusive and since it’s not available in Europe, I imagine you’ll have to download it via…ahem…”other means.”

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

kingofkungfu2002
6 hours ago, laagi said:

How on earth can folks in europe like myself watch this?! I couldn't find a single streaming service... So frustrating really!

Well Go USA are releasing it on bluray on May 23rd.

• Like 3

Super Ninja
11 hours ago, kingofkungfu2002 said:

Well Go USA are releasing it on bluray on May 23rd.

Sweet, thanks! I'll be getting this one. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 6:51 PM, Drunken Monk said:

It’s a Hi-yah exclusive and since it’s not available in Europe, I imagine you’ll have to download it via…ahem…”other means.”

day talk GIF

• Haha 3

The movie is streaming on Tubi! I'm watching it as we speak and am enjoying the hell out of it! The evil brother's student looks like Lindsey Buckingham LOL

Edited by AlbertV
  • Haha 1

• Administrator

I originally watched it on Hi-Yah! and purchased the Well Go USA Blu-ray once it was available. I haven't had a chance to rewatch it yet though.

I wonder how long it will be until we get to see part 2?

• Like 3