Favorite intro ?

Praying Snake

On 12/1/2020 at 9:30 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Like I said, there are possibly some Eagle Claw forms in Choy La Fut and Hung Gar. On the flip side, many forms were created more recently then implied, including the 1930's! From what I recall the "Plum Flower Fist" that villain Wang Lung Wei trains in the 1975 Shaolin Temple movie was added to Hung Gar some time in the 1900's, not 1600's. A thought provoking read is https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martial-Arts-Training-Manuals/dp/1583941940

And there are others. But back to Eagle Claw- nothing could stop a hermit like martial artist from creating a style by using what he had learned before to synthesize something new, just that there are not any Southern Eagle Claw only (as opposed to a single specialty form/routine) schools out there, versus say, Southern Mantis (which looks nothing like Northern Mantis) which has several schools in existence and was Lo Meng's main style.

One last thing, Bruce Lee related about marital arts with tons of forms or kata's in their style, James Y Lee, one of his main students implied this about his former traditional Kung fu " I was learning all these forms like two dragons out to sea, and it seemed endless. I realized that my instructor was teaching form after form to extend our fees and finally left for Wing Chun (italics mine)" There have been plenty of "masters" who have padded their curriculum to add fees with belt tests, etc. Look at most modern styles of karate- and kung fu jumped on the bandwagon and added belts as well. Got to make that $$$$.

I know there are Southern and Northern Mantis styles, I can tell the difference when used in film, as you said, there's quite a difference. Guess this is why I never doubted there are both Northern and Southern Eagle Claw. I know about Lo Meng being a Southern Mantis practitioner, he used the style in at least one of his Shaw films, not sure which one was it, maybe Shaolin Avengers. But apart from that, what you said is all new to me, and I must say, you Sir know your kung fu.

• Like 2

My favourite intro is 7-minute opening sequence to "Horse Boxing Killer" - Hilda Liu Hao-Yi does some fantastic stuff fighting against her father and brother.

I'm not so high on the rest of the movie, but love that opening. Btw, recently I've heard that music in some other movie, unfortunately I already forgot which one.

Edited by Whoishe
  • Like 3

J.J. Hayden

I'm not that big into Westerns, but damn did they have some good music, it's from Hang 'em High, courtesy of Dominic Frontiere.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 4/22/2022 at 9:41 AM, Whoishe said:

My favourite intro is 7-minute opening sequence to "Horse Boxing Killer" - Hilda Liu Hao-Yi does some fantastic stuff fighting against her father and brother.

I'm not so high on the rest of the movie, but love that opening. Btw, recently I've heard that music in some other movie, unfortunately I already forgot which one.

It's weird how it's called Horse Boxing Killer, but that style doesn't appear in the film until about an hour in. The intro is the heroes practicing Swallow style.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's weird how it's called Horse Boxing Killer, but that style doesn't appear in the film until about an hour in. The intro is the heroes practicing Swallow style.

Yes and no mention of "Swallow style" anywhere in title.

Other two are titles are "Kung Fu Terminator" (lol) and "Cute Foster Sister", and yes, Hilda Liu Hao is super cute, at least during the intro, when she had a longer hair and appeared younger (someone in comments on YT mentioned that movie was finished after a few years after starting).

• Like 2

venomsreviews

My favorite intro has to be Five Deadly Venoms. I loved the ambiance it set up and the overall design. It had a way of drawing you in. I enjoyed how the Master introduced his former pupils and their styles, which I think really set the tone for the entire movie. Even the way they displayed each style was such a creative one, since they did devote a fair amount of time to each one. It gave you a taste of what was to come. The music they used had a similar effect.

Another intro that comes to mind is the one for Kid with the Golden Arm. The use of color utilized in that intro for Golden Arms, Silver Spear, Iron Robe, and Brass Head left an impression on me! It was really the opposite of Five Deadly Venoms, as it was less eerie. It had flashier elements, but it remained just as impressive despite being simpler. It is another one that never gets old when I see it.

• Like 2