Favorite intro ?

Praying Snake

Kid With The Golden Arm accompanied by the cool drumbeat music is a good one and The Delinquent for it's surreal acid trip weirdness. Executioners From Shaolin is nice too.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 3

My ex got me a copy of Dragon Fist(1979) on Blu-Ray, released by 88-Films. I'd always enjoyed the introduction, but seeing it in the original aspect ratio and restored made a whole lotta difference.  It's one of the best old-school Kung Fu movie intro's in my opinion.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

Iron Head Rat

Warriors Two with Beardy in the Bamboo Forest & Casanova by the Waterfalls.

Best music: The Hot The Cool & the Vicious

Special Mentions: 7 Commandments Of Kung Fu/ Jade Claw/ SITES/ Iron Monkey 1977/

Drunken Monkey Floating Snake

• Like 4

Iron Head Rat
18 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I love all these intros.

My favorite musics from these are the ones for The hot, the cool, the vicious, Invincible armour (which has been reused elsewhere, or am I mistaken ? Does it come from a Western movie ?) and Showdown at the Cotton Mill. I don't remember tp have seen this latter intro in the Rarescope dvd, or am I mistaken again ?

A good opportunity to rewatch all these movies...again and...when I'll have a while...

Yes used in Drunken Monkey Floating Snake. Believe the Western is Django

• Like 3

On 11/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, Iron Head Rat said:

Yes used in Drunken Monkey Floating Snake. Believe the Western is Django

Nah, Day of Anger theme by Riz Ortolani, Django had Bacalov's theme. It's been used in a couple of kung fu films. 

• Like 3

Iron Head Rat
22 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Nah, Day of Anger theme by Riz Ortolani, Django had Bacalov's theme. It's been used in a couple of kung fu films. 

Thanks Super Ninja should've gone back & checked

• Like 3

Duel to The Death (1983)

Rather long six-minute intro.  I really like the music for the opening credits.

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 6

Somehow, I completely forgot about this one. I love all things chess related in kung fu movies, and I believe this intro is where my strange love has its roots.

• Like 5

When it comes to those old schools intros where they show of some moves, I like Warriors Two, they do something a bit different than the red background and I adore Casanova's kicks.

• Like 5

Sleeping Fist always shoots to mind. Yuen Siu Tien and his doubles do a great job as usual, as does Leung Kar Yan. But I just love watching lil Wong Yat Lung, that boy blows my mid with those crazy skills.

• Like 6

NoKUNGFUforYU

The 1974 Shaolin Martial Arts opening and first scene were really impressive back when it first came out. A lot of us young Karate/Kempo/Tae Kwon Do guys were only exposed to some watered down kung fu (Many Kempo schools pretended they were a Chinese style by throwing in a couple of Chinese forms at the end of their curriculum) unless we were patient enough to stay until late for the championship kata performances at a tournament, so the Kwan Do form is impressive. The funny part now that I know better is that all the actors do a Hung Gar form at the beginning. If the villains were Manchu they would most likely do some other form, and also, they bad guys are Wu Tang stylists, so that would be Hsing Yi, Pa Kua, Tai Chi or Ba Ji (which is what the palace guards used) and would look nothing like Hung Gar. Still love this movie, despite all the flaws (like Chi Kuan Chun using zero Wing Chun , shit LKL could have just asked Ti Lung to show him, but instead it just looks like he read about Wing Chun and made it up). Still, the Kwan Do routine blew everyone away!

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
4 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The 1974 Shaolin Martial Arts opening and first scene were really impressive back when it first came out. A lot of us young Karate/Kempo/Tae Kwon Do guys were only exposed to some watered down kung fu (Many Kempo schools pretended they were a Chinese style by throwing in a couple of Chinese forms at the end of their curriculum) unless we were patient enough to stay until late for the championship kata performances at a tournament, so the Kwan Do form is impressive. The funny part now that I know better is that all the actors do a Hung Gar form at the beginning. If the villains were Manchu they would most likely do some other form, and also, they bad guys are Wu Tang stylists, so that would be Hsing Yi, Pa Kua, Tai Chi or Ba Ji (which is what the palace guards used) and would look nothing like Hung Gar. Still love this movie, despite all the flaws (like Chi Kuan Chun using zero Wing Chun , shit LKL could have just asked Ti Lung to show him, but instead it just looks like he read about Wing Chun and made it up). Still, the Kwan Do routine blew everyone away!

PS, I mention this as a year or two later and the screen was full of different shapes- Mantis, Monkey, drunken fist, Eagle Claw (though a lot of Eagle claw is made up for the movies, there is no "southern" eagle claw, especially with tae kwon do kicks, LOL!) as well as Wing Chun and so forth. But still...when we saw that Kwan Do form, it just blew away all the staff katas we had seen so far!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

there is no "southern" eagle claw

But there are two different forms, what's the difference then between the Eagle Claw usually used by villains in kung fu films and the one say, used by Rothrock in Magic Crystal?

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
7 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

But there are two different forms, what's the difference then between the Eagle Claw usually used by villains in kung fu films and the one say, used by Rothrock in Magic Crystal?

Rothrock is using the actual northern form, and the grip uses all four fingers. There are Eagle claw moves in plenty of styles, but from what I read there is not a pure Eagle claw in the south of China, where most films take place. Now, I went and looked all through google for a few hours on this, but I did not look in ancient manuscripts, etc. Choy Li Fut has something like 150 forms, many are recorded in books as an instructor could not keep them all up on memory alone, so there could be an Eagle claw form. Also, you could look at it this way. If you are a master and recognised by your peers as such, you can just make that shit up and say voila, Rolling Eagle claw! Lau Kar Liang made up his monkey and drunken styles for the movies, as well as the Eagle claw, but once he did, well, they're his forms. 

• Like 4

sifu iron perm
22 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Rothrock is using the actual northern form, and the grip uses all four fingers. There are Eagle claw moves in plenty of styles, but from what I read there is not a pure Eagle claw in the south of China, where most films take place. Now, I went and looked all through google for a few hours on this, but I did not look in ancient manuscripts, etc. Choy Li Fut has something like 150 forms, many are recorded in books as an instructor could not keep them all up on memory alone, so there could be an Eagle claw form. Also, you could look at it this way. If you are a master and recognised by your peers as such, you can just make that shit up and say voila, Rolling Eagle claw! Lau Kar Liang made up his monkey and drunken styles for the movies, as well as the Eagle claw, but once he did, well, they're his forms. 

knowledge!! 

respect!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Thanks @NoKUNGFUforYU, that answer means I'll have to correct a certain number of my reviews. If my memory serves me well, I first heard of southern Eagle in Super Power, guess I just took it for granted.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

Thanks @NoKUNGFUforYU, that answer means I'll have to correct a certain number of my reviews. If my memory serves me well, I first heard of southern Eagle in Super Power, guess I just took it for granted.

Like I said, there are possibly some Eagle Claw forms in Choy La Fut and Hung Gar. On the flip side, many forms were created more recently then implied, including the 1930's! From what I recall the "Plum Flower Fist" that villain Wang Lung Wei trains in the 1975 Shaolin Temple movie was added to Hung Gar some time in the 1900's, not 1600's. A thought provoking read is https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Martial-Arts-Training-Manuals/dp/1583941940

And there are others. But back to Eagle Claw- nothing could stop a hermit like martial artist from creating a style by using what he had learned before to synthesize something new, just that there are not any Southern Eagle Claw only (as opposed to a single specialty form/routine) schools out there, versus say, Southern Mantis (which looks nothing like Northern Mantis) which has several schools in existence and was Lo Meng's main style.

One last thing, Bruce Lee related about marital arts with tons of forms or kata's in their style, James Y Lee, one of his main students implied this about his former traditional Kung fu " I was learning all these forms like two dragons out to sea, and it seemed endless. I realized that my instructor was teaching form after form to extend our fees and finally left for Wing Chun (italics mine)" There have been plenty of "masters" who have padded their curriculum to add fees with belt tests, etc. Look at most modern styles of karate- and kung fu jumped on the bandwagon and added belts as well. Got to make that $$$$.

• Like 2