On The Run...

Guest sevenhooks

French distributor Metropolitan recently released this on DVD. Video and audio are bad but they managed to get the uncut version. Joy Sales might do a better job though.

Yeah I read it looks pretty terrible and has a downmix to make matters worse. Hopefully Joy Sales releases this uncut. This is such an excellent movie and both Yuen Biao and Pat Ha do a great job in it. I would highy recommended this to anyone wanting to see a great crime / drama type film. As it's been said, as long as you aren't expecting an action movie, you won't be disappointed.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The non-anamorphic early dvds from Hong Kong have cropped subtitles on 16X9. You can watch it in standard, center of the tv, but it sucks. I've seriously considered replacing titles as they upgrade the releases, but sometimes the Joysales prints are washed out, while the Universe discs had great color but crappy enhanced sound effects. LEGEND OF WISELY is a prominent example.

When you say cropped, do you mean a little from the sides or completely unreadable cropped? I have an older 16x9 set (an older tube set) and don't recall this ever being too big an issue and I watch it in wither wide mode or this other mode that pushes the sides in some to give it a supposed 'panoramic' like view. I just watched Legend of Wisely too not so long ago but don't have it anymore. Any other older titles you can think of off hand? I may watch Royal Warriors (Universe DVD) later and that's older and non anamorphic. I'll see if I notice it being that bothersome. I totally agree about the colors on those older Universe discs.

In most cases, it crops the bottom of the subtitles, or second row off completely. This can vary from title to title, depending on how the subs were scripted on the disc. I checked out my old POSTMAN STRIKES BACK disc, and when zoomed to fill the screen, it looks smeary and the subs are half there. It's a real give or take.

Archived