On The Run...

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

One of my favorite performances by Yuen Biao which is a bit ironic since he hardly gets to show off any of the acrobatic stuff he was certainly capable of (particularly around the time this film was shot as he was clearly in his prime then).

Very moody, dark, noirish, well acted with essentially NO comedy whatsoever (how rare is that?).

Favorite scene: "Do Rae Me"

(those who've seen it know exactly what I'm talking about)

I remember the audience in the theater going nuts in reaction to that scene.

How does On The Run rank with you folks?

Other fave Yuen Biao perfs...

Knockabout

Prodigal Son

Champions

Dragons Forever

Dreadnaught

Iceman Cometh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Beat TG

On The Run is Biao's best acting performance, no doubt (and one of his most underrated movies ever). Everyone performs excellently, even the kid girl while the action (few of them) is done in great gritty fashion and the rest in the movie also excellent. shame it never made it among HK audiences though.

Guest rederror

Yeah great movie! no comedy, not really any martial arts but just pure drama and violence...great performance from Biao...Hats off!!!

Guest Chinatown Kid

I thought On The Run was a great dark and gritty film and enjoyed seeing Yuen biao try something different. The fight in the finale was brutal and realistic. Pat Ha was also excellent as the ice cold assassin who turns out to have a heart after all.

Guest The Running Man

I think the real under rated person in On the Run is Pat Ha.

Man...how great was she in that movie?! Such a commanding presence.

And at the same time, she was great with the kid in that singing scene (I think they were singing....haven't seen the movie in some time).

Guest morgoth

I love this movie. I thought that this was one of Biao's best performances and I agree with RM that Pat Ha stole the show. My fav. part of the movie is where Baio's daughter tells Pat Ha that she needs to take revenge for her mother. I love the dark tone of the movie overall, the music was great, and it also had good shoutouts and a couple of good action sequences. And I loved how brutal the movie was. Great stuff.

Love this movie, but only because of Pat Ha. She's the only reason I re-watched this movie so often. What a great performance! Such a contrast from her role in Flaming Brothers!..

Biao is totally miscast here, wearing that oversized trenchcoat, he looks like a little boy lost in a men's world. This role didn't suit him at all.

Yeah, his performance was OK, I meant his physical appearance. I just couldn't buy him as a "grown-up" police officer. He looked like a kid comparing to the rest of the cast.

Biao is(was, to be exact) an outstanding acrobat and stuntman, but rarely fit for a leading man role, especially in such dark and serious movie as OTR

Guest morgoth

The beard helps him look older and it actually didn't bother me at all. I can see from where you are coming from since guys like Ko Fei and Lo Lieh look badass without even talking. Baio is a scrawny guy and has a young face but I thought he looked fine in his role.

Guest Man from WAZ

I think Biao was perfectly casted. His scrawny statue totally fitted to the type of character he played. And we get to see his real acting skills. The movie shows that he's not only capable of Kung Fu.

Apparently, the best copy of ON THE RUN is still the old UK vhs: letterboxed, new good English subtitles, and not least UNCUT. All the dvd versions are cut. However, I was wondering if any of you have checked the recent vcd from Fortune Star (there's no dvd yet)??

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=8654

Are they still using the cut print? Cheers.

ShaOW!linDude

I think I have that VHS copy you speak of but it's buried somewhere in my basement with others. Then again I may have gotten rid of it but I don't think so.

I haven't watched this movie in years and remember nothing about it except that Biao threw 1 kick and that's it. I knew nothing about this film at the time and was expecting another great action flick. Needless to say, after watching it I was disappointed to the point of disgust. Maybe I'll revisit it in the future as I know what to expect from it now but I still have that bad taste in my mouth even after all these years.

Well, if we were all the same the world would be a boring place, wouldn't it. And I couldn't disagree with you more. It's one of my favourite HK films. :xd:

But if someone is a kung fu movie fan and expects a film in that style I can fully understand the disappointment because this doesn't belong in that category. It belongs in the 1980s Hong Kong new wave/cinema noir box and it's noway near being a kung fu film. Pat Ha delivers one of the coolest hitman characters ever. Man, that hairdo! So cool.

I already own that UK tape and don't wish to buy one of the lesser DVD releases that are cut and have wonky subtitles. But needless to say, I'd be interested in FS's DVD when it comes out - if it's uncut.

French distributor Metropolitan recently released this on DVD. Video and audio are bad but they managed to get the uncut version. Joy Sales might do a better job though.

This is a great suspense flick. I'd rank it with A BETTER TOMORROW. Wish I'd watched my dvd before I got the damn 16X9 tv that renders my old HK dvds unwatchable!

Sorry, I've still got an old tube TV set that I bought sometime back in the old century so I don't know about this; How come you can't watch HK DVD's on your new TV? Because of the 16:9 format?

The non-anamorphic early dvds from Hong Kong have cropped subtitles on 16X9. You can watch it in standard, center of the tv, but it sucks. I've seriously considered replacing titles as they upgrade the releases, but sometimes the Joysales prints are washed out, while the Universe discs had great color but crappy enhanced sound effects. LEGEND OF WISELY is a prominent example.

Archived