What kind of month is November for movies?

Koravec

We have the infamous ‘October horror flick time’ thread, which in a while back I posted how I felt it should include october and november for more time and since theyre both the fall season prior and following halloween. 

So what do you guys think, are you still in horror movie mode that carries over through most of the month or do you finally get a release from nonstop horror and find some other things or different genre to go back to? Like any other time. Or god forbid that perhaps you start throwing on some christmas classics (xmas does not start until december imo lol). Or is it just like any other month prior to the holidays?

I was able to catch a select few horror movies this october, a genre I was half ready for and probably the other half ready for this month and will probably catch a few more before the winter holidays. Had a good start for planned reviews, but never got around to it, may be too irrelevant or after the fact at this point.

Which in my opinion fall season is not only great for horror movies, but classic flicks in general, your spielberg and other 80s classics, etc. Which is cool seeing a bunch of classic movies make their way back into theaters as corona has halted current film releases.

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 4

Secret Executioner

I don't think there's a kind of movie that should be watched at a certain time of the year. I find watching horror more appropriate in October or on Friday the 13ths, but I don't feel it matters if you watch this in October or April. Same for any kind. Just watch whatever you want and enjoy. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Koravec said:

Or god forbid that perhaps you start throwing on some christmas classics (xmas does not start until december.....

In the Philippines X-mas starts when the 'bers starts (September) & kicks off in a lot of places after halloween. :party

November is more of a transitional or mixed genre month. 

You would have your (leftover) horror  flicks followed by action & sci-fc and then your family & kids movies. That would then leads into the holiday theme movies of December.

Oh and by the way I am already hearing some x-mas tunes in some places here in NYC (not the jingle bell type but the swing/jazz/"Baby, It's Cold Outside" type.).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

I don't think there's a kind of movie that should be watched at a certain time of the year. I find watching horror more appropriate in October or on Friday the 13ths, but I don't feel it matters if you watch this in October or April. Same for any kind. Just watch whatever you want and enjoy. 

I get what your saying. However largely what Im getting at is whether you feel halloween carries over and november is still a spooky month. Im not always a huge horror fanatic, really have to be in the mood unlike a lot of people. October and November tend to provide that for me.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

@KoravecThe atmosphere seems like a lefit excuse IMO. At first I felt like you wanted the horror stuff to carry on into November and past Halloween, which sorta felt like continuing watching Christmas films in January but I get your drift with the gloomy mood. 

Having said that, I recall watching more horror in January than in October a few years ago - the only link I can see is that apparently bad horror tends to be released in January (in US theaters at least, if a remark from Brad "Cinema Snob" Jones is to be believed) and I think most of the movies I saw that January were pretty good.

• Like 2

@Secret Executioner Actually I was trying to say that about horror stuff carrying over lol. And if I think about it I do feel christmas should carry over into january a bit as well.

But I agree that the bitterness of winter can be very supplemental to certain dark genres. Im huge into black metal through the winter.

• Like 3

Perhaps V for Vendetta:

I've never actually seen the full thing myself, but still after recently searching online for things relating to Guy Fawkes Night and the Gunpowder Plot of 1605. V for Vendetta frequently came up and now I've actually ordered a DVD of it. (V for Vendetta is not set in 1605 but was partly inspired by the Gunpowder Plot.)

8 hours ago, Koravec said:

And if I think about it I do feel christmas should carry over into january a bit as well.

In my family the last date of Christmastime has always been 5th January (one of the definitions of the Twelfth Night).

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

@Omni Dragon Good observation regarding V for Vendretta. The titular V definitely has a Guy Fawkes inspiration, and the movie opens with a voiceover alluding to the Gunpowder Plot. The original graphic novel by Alan Moore is also very interesting.

• Like 2

Blade Runner (1982) is set in November albeit in the year 2019:

1219358186_BladeRunner.png.be565b554f2d9ca2c71193b62d7822d0.png

@Koravec, I like the idea of this thread. I wouldn't mind seeing a similar thread for each month, as it could give some interesting recommendations and put me in the mood to watch certain movies. Some months will probably be difficult to come up with ideas for though. Even this month is a bit tricky.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
1 hour ago, Omni Dragon said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar thread for each month, as it could give some interesting recommendations and put me in the mood to watch certain movies.

With several notable entries of the genre taking place around the time Jesus was crucified and/or having to do with early Christianity I feel March/April (the Easter season if you will) would be a good time to watch some peplums, even though I realize the genre is much broader in the time period and subjects it covers.

• Like 3

Perhaps the answer if christmas horror movies lol, since its inbetween the two holidays. Only kidding but flicks such as nightmare before christmas, santa claus conquers the martians, anna and the apocalypse, the many christmas themed slashers out there, harry potter even (magic and christmas).

Edited by Koravec
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Koravec said:

Perhaps the answer if christmas horror movies lol, since its inbetween the teo holidays. Only kidding but for fun flicks such as nightmare before christmas, santa claus conquers the martians, anna and the apocalypse, the many christmas themed slashers out there, harry potter even (magic and christmas).

For years now, I've been watching slashers on Christmas, and continued after I used all the Christmas ones. I can't explain this, but for some reason, something about a masked maniac killing teenagers feels like Christmas to me. 

Edited by Super Ninja
  • Like 2