Is this Hwang Jang-lee in Shaolin Wooden Men?

Killer Meteor

Killer Meteor

The new blu-ray extras seem fairly confident he's one of the thugs in the fight outside the teahouse - see 2:00 in this clip -

Also, Rick Baker thinks Hwang is also the Tiger Monk in the intro, which was missing from old video releases.

ShaolinWoodenMen+1976-52-b.jpg

• Like 4

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I'm gonna say no and no.

I’ll add another no for good measure.

Plus HJL was still in Korea in ‘76.

• Like 4

Is it possible that Shaolin Wooden Men was made in 75? but released in 1976?. I think the Jackie Chan Sourcebook mentions how a few of Chan's Lo Wei produced movies, were held back before getting a proper release?

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 minutes ago, rdenn said:

toby russell told me that is hwang and that is someone that would know

Lot of respect for Russell, but he has been wrong before.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

He did make Bruce Lee's Secret in Taiwan in '76.

What I don't see is him being principle villian in Secret Rivals and Bruce Lee's Secret, then a anonymous thug in SWM. Plus whoever that is in the teahouse fight is very floppy swingy arm, whilst Hwang always fought with finesse.

Def agree with this assessment.

The Mike Leeder commentary on the BD, which doesn't mention Hwang, repeatedly insisits the film was made in Korea, but there are no Korean actors and the main temple used is definetly in Taiwan.  By the time Leeder says "not a lot of Koreans in this movie", I was about ready to throw something at the TV screen!

Plus, since Mike Leeder got Kam Kong mixed up with Lee Man-Tai on his Spiritual Kung Fu commentary, maybe he is the new Ric Meyers...

Oh, snap.... shots fired.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
52 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Is it possible that Shaolin Wooden Men was made in 75?, but released in 1976?. I think the Jackie Chan Sourcebook mentions how a few of Chan's Lo Wei produced movies, were held back before getting a proper release?.

True, but Hwang was a martial arts actor in Korea and had some prominent roles. It's not that he's in a Taiwanese movie, but that he's basically an extra.

• Like 4

Secret Executioner
2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

It also says he's in Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave, under its Korean title, (so does HKMB) and he's definetly not in that.

I certainly don't remember seeing him there - unless the cheap American DVD I have is a cut version that removes him ?

• Like 2

I think regardless of what any 'experts' think my own eyes tell me that monk pic is not hwang and the fighter at 2min mark in clip isnt either.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, after some closer examination.... that fighter in the blue is To Wai Wo.... I'm 99% sure. He could slightly resemble HJL at this time. The monk is not even up for discussion... don't know why anyone would say that's HJL.

Edited by TibetanWhiteCrane
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Yeah, after some closer examination.... that fighter in the blue is To Wai Wo.... I'm 99% sure. He could slightly resemble HJL at this time. The monk is not even up for discussion... don't know why anyone would say that's HJL.

Because of his eyes, maybe...

And I didn't even see who is the guy who could be HJL in the clip !!

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

To Wai Wo is in the fight as is Yuen Biao. The "Maybe Hwang" is a third fighter only outside, he's not in the interior scene that I can see

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
25 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

To Wai Wo is in the fight as is Yuen Biao. The "Maybe Hwang" is a third fighter only outside, he's not in the interior scene that I can see

Oh forreal? My mistake... but either way, it's not HJL.

• Like 3

Is he the guy in blue, who attacks Jackie Chan around 2-mins 28-secs into the video?. He has his shirt open and throws a few kicks at Chan's character.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
44 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Is he the guy in blue, who attacks Jackie Chan around 2-mins 28-secs into the video?. He has his shirt open and throws a few kicks at Chan's character.

Supposedly yes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Whoever it is isn't doing an especially good job!

Like the other stunt guys in the scene, he was just there to make the hero look good on-screen.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

Yes, that supposed to be him according to Rick Baker. Whoever it is isn't doing an especially good job!

In great contrast to HJL's usual very impressive kicking (which Jackie should remember).

• Like 3