Triggered (2020) - Liesl Ahlers, Reine Swart, Steven Ward, Sean Michael Cameron, Cameron Scott

AlbertV

South African films are slowly coming back on the rise. This upcoming film (coming out Friday on VOD and Digital) takes the Battle Royale route as a group of nine friends on a camping trip are confronted by their high school science teacher, who has knocked them out and put suicide bomb vests on them. Here's the kicker: they have to kill each other until there is one. Set with different times, when someone dies, the "killer" will get their victim's time added onto their vest, enhancing their chance of survival. Co-writer and director Alastair Orr had used both BR and Saw as influences to make this film.

• Like 4

Director Alastair Orr and I talked about his influences on the film, working with the cast and a bit how South African filmmakers are churning out projects in Hollywood (such as Gavin Hood and Michael Matthews).

Co-star Reine Swart and I talk about her work with her fellow cast members, who never worked with each other, crediting co-star Cameron Scott on bringing them together before shooting; working with Alastair Orr, the resurgence of the South African film industry, and her recently released directorial debut The Hex.

• Like 2

Looks interesting. I love "Battle Royale"(2000) and "The Hunger Games"(2008-2010), so I will defiantly be checking this one out. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AlbertV said:

For those who are interested, there will be a live Q&A session with cast and crew members today at 1:00PM EST on the official Instagram site for the film: https://www.instagram.com/triggered_film/

I watched the live Q&A and it was a load of fun. Attended were director/co-writer Alastair Orr, American co-writer David D. Jones, producer Ariye Mahdeb and the following cast members: Cameron Scott, Steven Ward, Michael Potter, Suraya Rose Santos, Paige Bonnin, Kayla Privett, Russell Crous, and Sean Cameron Michael. Liesl Ahlers was in charge of taking over the film's Insta-stories so she wasn't there as was Reine Swart, who was visiting family. 

They talked about making the film in the middle of a summer rainstorm on a horse farm only at nights and how they persevered. Russell and Steven admitted to the fans that their fight scene involved real hitting to bring that realism. The cast talked about whether their characters were based on their real life personalities...some yes, some no. Orr is hoping the fans will see the film as a "horror-comedy" as it does have pop culture references put in (if you see it, look out for the name "Bateman"...nuff said) and they ended the chat with a fun game of "shag, marry, kill"...some very funny answers from some. A great time with these guys. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 3

Just a bit of a fun fact: Triggered co-star Cameron Scott is on South Africa's season of The Bachelorette as one of the contestants. 

• Like 2

Triggered will be coming to Hulu on Satuday. Found out from co-star Liesl Ahlers who posted it on her Instagram story last night. 

• Like 2