Donnie Yen's Fist Of Fury movie in progress!

Guest Beat TG

Guest Beat TG

-- New Fist of Fury --

"Gordon Chan will be directing a remake of Fist of Fury, with Donnie Yen being invited to star as Chen Zhen, and Zhang Ziyi as the female lead though the latter is unlikely to be in the project due to other commitments. The script is still being written and the movie is expected to begin filming in mid 2007. According to Gordon Chan, Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury (1972) was a classic in Chinese film history, but that version put too much weight on revenge. So, when he made Fist of Legend in 1994, he didn't create a film that was about an all-out reprisal, but one that sought to find out the truth, and he did not paint a bad picture of all Japanese. This time around, Gordon Chan wishes to create new perspectives and views. In New Fist of Fury, Gordon Chan would retain the background and characters of the original, and using the art of combat as a springboard, he would highlight folk spirit and loyalty vs filial piety, and it would be more epic than the previous two films."

Looks like Gordon and Donnie has finally decided to make this happen, as both dumped the idea back in 2001 due to the "lousy" script. As long as Donnie doesn't do cheesy Bruce Lee-acting, I'll be happy.

Source: Wu-Jing.org

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Running Man
As long as Donnie doesn't do cheesy Bruce Lee-acting, I'll be happy.

Then make sure you have a hug waiting for you on reserve for after you watch the movie. :b

Guest monk sante

Whats wrong people can't come up with new ideas for new martial arts films? Im not really excited about this.:rolleyes

Guest Dion Brother

This is the typical step back I expect from Yen. He idolizes Bruce Lee waaaay too much. He once told me his dream project was playing Kato in a Green Hornet movie. That limit of ambition has done him in too many times in the past.

Guest Yi Long

I like Donnie as a martial artist when he's on screen and he isnt directing himself... but like many, I am really not interested in seeing him do his bad Bruce impersonation again.

Besides, I seriously doubt this could top 1994 brilliant Fist of Legend (RELEASE IT ALREADY, &^%$##!)

On the other hand, it's never bad news when you hear there will be another martial arts movie made, and it will have talented people like Gordon and Donnie involved.

At least it's better news then hearing there will be a sequel to Dragon Tiger Gate or whatever it was called...

Guest The Running Man
At least it's better news then hearing there will be a sequel to Dragon Tiger Gate or whatever it was called...

S'matta Yi Long. You weren't feeling those under developed story and characters all covered in that super flowing hair love? :b

Guest Beat TG
Then make sure you have a hug waiting for you on reserve for after you watch the movie.

Lets see about that one though, you never know.:b

Guest Yi Long

S'matta Yi Long. You weren't feeling those under developed story and characters all covered in that super flowing hair love?

:)

I havent even bothered with it. Everyone has been very negative about it, and from what I've seen, it looks ridiculous, with the wigs you mention :)

Guest Chen Zhen

instead of fist of fury remake number 29, y dont they try and remake a different bruce film? i'd much rather see a remake of Big Boss to be honest. better yet..y dont they just make a brand new film rather than remake something?

not excited to see it, but it could be good.

Guest MissScarlett01

It's probably a silly question to ask (here) if anyone has seen Monsieur Yen in, "Fists of Fury?"

Someone recommended it to me saying I should be sure to turn on the audio commentary done by Robin Shou and a couple other guys. Well, I can't tell you much of what was going on in the film, but I can say I laughed so hard my face hurt.

Anyway, thought I'd toss that in... :rollin

Guest Chinatown Kid

I know what you mean Chen, Fist of Fury has been done to death, that tv series Donnie did of Fist of Fury was aweful with speeded up fights that looked so cartoonish. If their gonna do a remake of one of Bruce's films I would much rather it be another film like Way of the Dragon(my favorite Lee film) or The Big Boss. But I think Yen would be much better doing a non-Lee role, he's a great martial artist but I don't like his Lee imitations. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out but I'm expecting the worse.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Is that the tv show Donnie made that I talked about in my above post? If it is I know what you mean, the action was so speeded up in it it looked like a keystone cops or Benny Hill skit.:lol

Guest MissScarlett01
Is that the tv show Donnie made that I talked about in my above post?

Yeah. I think so. And they edited it into one movie. Although... I was laughing at the audio commentary. :o

Sorry fans, but I just can't force myself to like Donnie Yen :x Listening to RS and the others make sarcastic remarks, etc. through the whole thing was hysterical :lol

Guest Yi Long

I watched the complete cantonese series, back when it was on. (we had a chinese channel on dutch cable, after 12 o clock at night or something, and they showed it...)

The series was OK, but yeah, they @#%$ up most of the fights by speeding them up. Too bad, cause choreography and performance wise, it all looked good. There was 1 fight that was still amazingly great though, which was in episode 6 or something, and it was in a shed againt clubfoot, or a guy that looked like clubfoot, and it was just very very good.

Bey Logan was also in it, and he was crap as usual.

Guest Chen Zhen

that was against clubfoot aka Hung Yan Yan. that was the only good fight in the series as far as im concerned, everything else was just sped up arm flailing.

Guest carl douglas

Fist of Fury? Love the film: But as mentioned, the story has been done to death ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ One way of refreshing the brand is by making sequels? like Bond.

Guest killer meteor

There's already at least two seperate sets of sequels to Fist Of Fury; Lo Wei's New Fist Of Fury and the two Bruce Li sequels. The fact that Nora Miao's character commits suicide in the Bruce Li films but escapes to Taiwan in New Fist kind of buggers up continuity!

Guest Chinatown Kid

There were also sequels to Game of Death(Tower of Death aka Game of Death II) and Big Boss(was it New Big Boss starring Donnie Yen? I Believe this was an aka. Also Big Boss 2 starring Lo Lieh). Remaking Game of Death might be a good idea if they make it the way Bruce originally intended the story to be. It would be great to see a remake of Way of the Dragon with two top martial artists battling it out in the Roman Collosium or some other historical spot. Like maybe a Tony Jaa vs a Donnie Yen or a Sammo Hung or hell even a Jean Claude Van Damme. :b

Damn, beating a dead horse as usual. I love HK cinema but the worst aspect is the multitude of remakes and rehashes. Some are good telling a diffferent perspective of the story while others just suck a$$. I would like to see Donnie take on another character from China's rich history of martial artists. He is well balanced in different systems and a large part of his background is within his mother's (Bo Sim Mak) Wu Shu system. I am sure there is something untapped or rarely explored within...

Archived