Young Ip Man: Crisis Time (2020)

rdenn

1 hour ago, Secret Executioner said:

Isn't the problem @DrNgor and @Drunken Monk are discussing one that concerns pretty much any movie heavily showcasing one style ? That's where you REALLY appreciate choreographers and performers as well as their abilities.

I think this does happen when you have a weaker fight choreographer. I stand by Sammo Hung’s Wing Chun being creative and interesting. Woo Ping’s is great but I feel like Sammo truly nailed it.

I can’t comment on other styles as I’m not sure I’ve seen a film truly showcasing another style recently. The market has been flooded with Wing Chun for years now.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner
1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

The market has been flooded with Wing Chun for years now.

Yeah, I imagine the wave of movies trying to capitalize on the likes of Ip Man must have overwhelmed some to a point they are burnt out on the style or are looking for more creativity in the choreographies.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:
2 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Isn't the problem @DrNgor and @Drunken Monk are discussing one that concerns pretty much any movie heavily showcasing one style ? That's where you REALLY appreciate choreographers and performers as well as their abilities.

I think this does happen when you have a weaker fight choreographer. I stand by Sammo Hung’s Wing Chun being creative and interesting. Woo Ping’s is great but I feel like Sammo truly nailed it.

I can’t comment on other styles as I’m not sure I’ve seen a film truly showcasing another style recently. The market has been flooded with Wing Chun for years now.

I think some styles lend themselves out to more variety, because they might have larger variety of forms and you could theoretically build an entire film off of just one of those forms. Hung Gar, for example, has the Iron Wire Form, the Five Animals Form, the Tiger Crane Form--the Lau Gar style has a monkey form which was the basis for Drunken Monkey and Mad Monkey Kung Fu. Hung Gar evidently has both the Iron Bridge Sam and Wong Fei-Hung lineages, so among those there'd be further variations. I'm pretty sure Hung Gar has a Drunken Form--I know Choy Li Fut and some other styles do. Obviously, a talented choreographer could exploit those differences better than your average C or D Lister.

• Like 5

After the success of Donnie's IP Man movies these quickly turned into the Chinese equivalent of the MCU. I stopped bothering a long time ago.

Also interesting that Well Go USA would still put these on a physical release. Streaming would be the only plausible option for these movies. But I guess IP Man is still a selling point to some. Almost feels like all those old bruceplotation movies. As long as you have the name or look alike...

• Like 1