Young Ip Man: Crisis Time (2020)

rdenn

Hi All - thanks for posting the trailer from my channel. I have the full version of the trailer, just adding English Subtitles and will release it shortly

• Like 5

Thank you. Looks like an awesome forum. 

I want to learn more and be immersed into more Kung Fu films. I am competent with most Asian action films, but always afraid to review kung fu movies and get it wrong!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TheArtyDans said:

Thank you. Looks like an awesome forum. 

I want to learn more and be immersed into more Kung Fu films. I am competent with most Asian action films, but always afraid to review kung fu movies and get it wrong!

I have a very, very small podcast and I feel the same sometimes. I think it’s one of those genres where you can really make mistakes: from pronouncing names wrong to saying the wrong person choreographed a movie.

But it’s all about living and learning. The fans of this genre are super supportive and, on these boards especially, no one will tear you a new one for making a mistake here and there.

• Like 8

As promised here is the second longer trailer 

I might use you guys as a source of research if you don't all mind

I've got some future videos in mind and getting the help of people who know makes it easier

• Like 5

On 10/12/2020 at 12:42 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I have a very, very small podcast and I feel the same sometimes. I think it’s one of those genres where you can really make mistakes: from pronouncing names wrong to saying the wrong person choreographed a movie.

But it’s all about living and learning. The fans of this genre are super supportive and, on these boards especially, no one will tear you a new one for making a mistake here and there.

Share the podcast? I always need good things to listen to (not into music, would prefer to learn something)

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, TheArtyDans said:

Share the podcast? I always need good things to listen to (not into music, would prefer to learn something)

Sure. The podcast is called Fu for Thought. It’s basically me trying to get my wife and best friend into kung fu films by having them watch a different movie each episode. I’m not sure I’ve Ben successful thus far.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Sure. The podcast is called Fu for Thought. It’s basically me trying to get my wife and best friend into kung fu films by having them watch a different movie each episode. I’m not sure I’ve Ben successful thus far.

You have an instagram profile by the same name right? I've enjoyed your posts, didn't know there's a podcast as well, I'll check it out.

• Like 3

I really hope people aren't getting their kung-fu from watching these movies. That trailer was utter crap. I have no idea whom did the choreography but it looked really bad. Maybe it was just the way the trailer was edited. HK has lost its glory! Sad to see what is being offered these days compared to such classics as Prodigal Son, Warriors Two and Ip Man. This movie is certainly a hard pass for me. I would really encourage the youth to bypass this dreck and spend some time with fu films of yesteryear. Not saying they were all great or anything, but, at least most were realistic and had some truly jaw-dropping moments. This reminds me of "paint-by-numbers". But, maybe I'm just jaded!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, reason108 said:

I really hope people aren't getting their kung-fu from watching these movies. That trailer was utter crap. I have no idea whom did the choreography but it looked really bad. Maybe it was just the way the trailer was edited. HK has lost its glory! Sad to see what is being offered these days compared to such classics as Prodigal Son, Warriors Two and Ip Man. This movie is certainly a hard pass for me. I would really encourage the youth to bypass this dreck and spend some time with fu films of yesteryear. Not saying they were all great or anything, but, at least most were realistic and had some truly jaw-dropping moments. This reminds me of "paint-by-numbers". But, maybe I'm just jaded!

Just a slight correction, this is a Chinese movie, and a low-budget webmovie, so that would explain the poor cheorography

• Like 4

On 10/14/2020 at 11:57 AM, TheArtyDans said:

As promised here is the second longer trailer 

I might use you guys as a source of research if you don't all mind

I've got some future videos in mind and getting the help of people who know makes it easier

Welcome to the forum and thanks for subbing this trailer.It makes me willing to discover the movie, even if these slow motions and freezing scenes during the action aren't really my cup of tea ...

It seems to me that there is an ebay seller called AsianFilmsFan (unless I'm mistaken and it's a blog, I don' t remember), could it be you ?

• Like 4

Hi and thanks for the welcome

Interesting... I couldnt find an ebay seller with that name (i was curious) but alongside my partner we do have a website (asianfilmfans.com), and a YouTube channel and reddit

Could be that?

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TheArtyDans said:

Hi and thanks for the welcome

Interesting... I couldnt find an ebay seller with that name (i was curious) but alongside my partner we do have a website (asianfilmfans.com), and a YouTube channel and reddit

Could be that?

It must be the website, yes. I knew that I had already seen that name somewhere...

• Like 3

Just finished watching this one and...well...it’s fine. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s good. I feel it’s a “one watch then done” movie.

As the review above said, it’s basically an Ip Man version of Die Hard. It’s a great idea and I think it’s both well shot and well acted. The problem is the action. While it’s well choreographed at times, it’s VERY repetitive. I must have seen the same three or four moves over twenty times. On top of that, the actor playing Ip Man seems to lack power. His punches look terrible. I think they do him a service by giving him a lot palm strikes and moves that aren’t mean for brute force. His physical demeanor just isn’t there.

There are moments of solid kung fu action though. It’s also mostly grounded with a little wire work here and there. Sadly, at the end of the day, there’s little to rave about.

At 78 minutes in length is a brisk watch. But don’t go out of your way for this one. You’ve seen it all before and you’ve seen it done better.

The most original thing in this film is a ten second fight toward the end that uses flashlights but that’s literally a “blink and you’ll miss it” moment.

Grade: C

• Like 5

On 11/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, Drunken Monk said:

The problem is the action. While it’s well choreographed at times, it’s VERY repetitive. I must have seen the same three or four moves over twenty times.

I don't think Wing Chun is a particularly varied style, plus we've gotten so much of it in the past 12 years, that you'd really need an experienced choreographer to do something good with it, or at least pair it against a more interesting (on film) style for contrast and variety. It seems that this wasn't the case.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

I don't think Wing Chun is a particularly varied style, plus we've gotten so much of it in the past 12 years, that you'd really need an experienced choreographer to do something good with it, or at least pair it against a more interesting (on film) style for contrast and variety. It seems that this wasn't the case.

I think you’re right. Wong Chun doesn’t lend itself to variation all that much. In this one, it’s definitely not out against anything different. There is a female fighter that uses a blade on the end of a chain. That’s somewhat interesting but not enough is done with it.

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

Isn't the problem @DrNgor and @Drunken Monk are discussing one that concerns pretty much any movie heavily showcasing one style ? That's where you REALLY appreciate choreographers and performers as well as their abilities.

• Like 2