Martial Arts-Action Cinema films with music and effects tracks available?

Chorake

Something that hasn't really been a common extra on home video since the LaserDisc era is the isolated music and effects track for dubbing. Lots of LDs and early DVDs included these (for instance, the "Banned" Criterion Bond film LDs carried them).

Off the top of my head, I can think of four films with their M&E tracks available in some capacity:

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978) - Twilight Time and Koch Media BDs
Drunken Master (1978) - Twilight Time BD
The Armour of God (1986) - a partial M&E track can be found in the L&R channels of a 5.1 track on a Russian DVD of the export cut. It's turned off for most of the dialogue scenes and the Amazon fight.
Drunken Master II (1994) - The Mandarin dub on the Thakral DVD(?) is a 5.1 mix with the M&E track in the L&R channels (except for the ending for some reason. guess they used the stems from the shortened version)

Anybody know of any other releases with M&E tracks? Or dodgy 5.1 remixes that just plop the M&E in every channel but the center?

Two Jackie Chan films as you'll recall (Miracles and Gorgeous) also got isolated music score features through TriStar.

Edited by Chorake
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Chorake said:

Two Jackie Chan films as you'll recall (Miracles and Gorgeous) also got isolated music score features through TriStar.

I'm pretty sure the early Warner Home Video DVDs of Enter the Dragon similarly had isolated music.

• Like 4

The blu-rays of the One Armed Swordsman series that got released in HK/Taiwan were 'wide mono' but I don't remember if they just had the music and effects in the non-center channels or if they just replicated the full track with the dialogue. Ditto the (non-remastered) HK DVD of Yuen Biao's The Champions (don't remember who released it, Universe or Megastar).

BTW, @Chorake didn't the Warner blu-rays of Drunken Master II just have Cantonese, English and two Japanese audio tracks?

• Like 4

On 10/11/2020 at 11:49 PM, Asmo said:

BTW, @Chorake didn't the Warner blu-rays of Drunken Master II just have Cantonese, English and two Japanese audio tracks?

Ah, must've confused it with my personal copy that adds the 5.1 mix from presumably the Thakral DVD.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chorake said:

Ah, must've confused it with my personal copy that adds the 5.1 mix from presumably the Thakral DVD.

No worries. Thanks for the confirmation either way! 

• Like 3

Something I found very amusing is the complete opposite of this:

The 5.1 mix of Heart of Dragon on the HKL DVD has ONLY the dialogue stem playing in the center channel for both the Cantonese and English tracks.

• Like 3