Police Story 2 - The Taiwanese Cut

Chorake

The Taiwanese cut of Police Story 2 is still relatively obscure and not really brought up in common discussion. Why is that? The Young Master's has been talked about for years. I had to seek out an old VIDI tape just to see it for myself after reading about it on OFDb and some Chinese and Japanese sources.

It's basically half way between the Japanese cut and the HK cut (it's got the shortened montage of Chan and his co-officers tracking Polar Bear). It's got the same unfinished sound design as the Japanese version, but some exclusive footage. I know the Japanese cut is not really most people's cup of tea (me included). Still, it's cool to see more footage from an '80s Chan film that's not in any other release.

Scenes exclusive:
1. Longer cut of Ka-kui talking to his co-officers and Uncle Bill about Chu's release.

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h48m51s35.png

2. Ka-kui and May join May's mother (I still have no idea if she's actually May's aunt or whatever in the Chinese versions) for dinner at a restaurant and discuss their relationship with her.vlcsnap-2020-08-18-10h03m29s142.png
3. Longer cut of Superintendent Raymond talking to his superiors in handling the bombers case.

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h50m06s12.png

• Like 14

Thanks for sharing this info, I can't recall ever hearing about the Taiwanese cut before.

• Like 4

Thanks again @Chorake, for this thread, without it, I may have never found out about the Taiwanese version.

@Chorake summarised the Taiwanese version very well, but still I thought I'd mention a few things I noticed about it after watching a copy I got from @Kevin Chan.

I've also uploaded the scenes exclusive (in isolation) to the Taiwanese version to Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/taiwanese-scene-3

I also uploaded 2 video examples of cuts made: https://archive.org/details/taiwanese-edit-1

Example 1 that I called 'Taiwanese edit 1'; looks like it might have been cut to avoid showing the bare buttocks in the police shower room scene.

Example 2 'Taiwanese edit 2'; shows that they cut the daytime part of the park scene.

There are a few other cuts made beyond those examples (also some differences in the music) but I've already forgotten the specifics.

And the last thing I'll mention is that the mute character played by Benny Lai had subtitles in the night scene:

vlcsnap-2022-09-28-04h40m18s304.png.e35f0b13ab23b894fc9123aa8fd2cbe9.png

vlcsnap-2022-09-28-04h55m16s538.png.e8026c348e4e29d51f298bdcc1093996.png

• Like 5