Kung fu/martial art TV dramas that are available on streaming sites (mostly TubiTV/Amazon Prime) in USA/North America

mdo7

Disclaimer: This topic is for North American/US users that are reading this.  If you're a user from Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia, this doesn't applied to you because I don't know if these shows are available in your region (or even subtitled in your local languages).  So for now, only North America/USA viewers can read this thread, thank you and I apologize.

OK, I've looked around on streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and TubiTV.  It looks like we have several kung-fu/martial art TV dramas from TVB making appearance on several streaming sites, and yes they're subtitled in English if you turn on the subtitles.  Here are the lists of these TV dramas I found and where to watch it:

Grace Under Fire (2011, TVB):

Where to watch it: TubiTV

L_p0015752619.jpg   

This 32 episodes 2011 TVB drama has David Chiang playing Wong-Fei Hung in this drama.  I haven't got chance to finish this drama, so far I like the story.

Wudang Rules (2015, TVB:

Where to watch it: TubiTV

This is a 20 episode drama.  I just found this drama on TubiTV, and I have not watched this so I don't know and don't have enough knowledge about if this show is good or not.  Here are some pictures & screenshots from the show.

9551f2f28270e855ab7e1451853cf2eb.jpg

s-l400.jpg

10685395_10153268005878449_1113117487592

tvb_wudang_rules_-_episode_7___57b333d22

tvb_wudang_rules_-_episode_1___57b333d22  

A Fistful of Stances (2010, TVB):

Where to watch: TubiTV, Amazon Prime Video

I just watched one episode when I stumbled upon this on Amazon Prime Video, so I can't tell you if this is a good show or not.  It's 25 episode long.

A_Fistful_of_Stances.jpg

A fist within Four Walls (2015, TVB):

Where to watch it: TubiTV, Amazon Prime Video

This is a 28 episodes TV drama from TVB.  I just watched the first episode, so I don't have enough experience to say if it's good or not.  But this particular drama from TVB was the highest rated drama when it was broadcasted on TVB, and it won multiple awards in Hong Kong.

TopBanner_AFistWithinFourWalls.jpg

L_g0059092142.jpg

So these are all the martial arts drama from TVB (so far) I've found on streaming sites that US/North American viewers and fans of Kung-fu can watch with English subtitles.  I found more but I'll talked about it in my future posts.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

If you're a fan of Louis Cha/Jin Yong, you're going to be happy that several TV dramas of Jin Yong's work are available on Amazon Prime. 

There are 2 version of Legend of Condor Heroes (one from 2003, and 2008) on Amazon Prime.

f04da2db14841a0e100609.jpg

Legend of Condor Heroes 2003

Where to watch: Amazon Prime

# of episodes: 42

How to find it on Amazon Prime Video/what picture icon does it look like:

7167e8vtl4L._SX300_.jpg

Here are some screenshots and picture from that show:

k9V-6ZnkzvtX6P7QVvtJa21s1_mTLZbJ7tviUUcl

legend-of-the-condor-heroes.jpg

Intro video:

Legend of Condor Heroes 2008:

# of episodes: 50

Where to watch: Amazon Prime, Viki

Note: This is the one with Hu Ge and Ariel Lin as Guo Jing, and Huang Rung.

ee9432cbf1f5b0_full.jpg

ff05bf131e224fae9fe8438055c95cda.png?x=b

Beside these 2, I found more Condor Heroes series adaptation.

Return of the Condor Heroes (2006 version):

# of episodes: 41

What icon to look for:

71izwDHrckL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Note: This is the one with Liu Yifei as Xiaolongnü.

Romance of the Condor Heroes (2014):

Were to watch: Amazon Prime

# of episodes: 52

What icon to look for:

719or0oH+fL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Note: This is the one with Michelle Chen as Xiaolongnü.

The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre (2009):

# of episodes: 40

What icon to look for:

71mmMsPYGiL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Sabre (2019):

Where to watch: Amazon Prime, TubiTV

# of episodes: 50

What icon to look for:

13b619ba-7ff5-433b-a907-e2d2b8d6188c.jpg

Note: This is newest and recent version of Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre.

OK, I'm done with the Condor Heroes trilogy series that are available on Amazon Prime, TubiTV, etc...  There are other Jin Yong TV dramas adaptation that are on Amazon Prime Video.

Demi Gods and Semi Devils (2003):

Demi-Gods_and_Semi-Devils_%25282003_TV_s 

# of episodes: 40

What icon to look for:

71IjZmliDVL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Sword Stained with Royal Blood (2007):

# of episodes: 30

What icon to look for:

71Tz0taFjTL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Edited by mdo7
fixed couple of things
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Thank you for this thread! Today was the first time I stumbled across it.

I started my first Chinese drama just the other day (A Fist Within Four Walls) and I’m enjoying it immensely. A little less action than I’d hoped for and, so far, the first fight scene has been the best. But the story and the characters are great.

I’m looking forward to watching Grace Under Fire and I found a Huo Yuanjia on Amazon Prime that might be worth a watch.

I’m excited to be dipping my toes into a new form of martial arts entertainment.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I started my first Chinese drama just the other day (A Fist Within Four Walls) and I’m enjoying it immensely. A little less action than I’d hoped for and, so far, the first fight scene has been the best. But the story and the characters are great.

I’m looking forward to watching Grace Under Fire and I found a Huo Yuanjia on Amazon Prime that might be worth a watch.

I’m excited to be dipping my toes into a new form of martial arts entertainment.

There are a lot of very good martial arts series. Sadly, only a very few of them are English subbed. If you have the opportunity, you should check TVB's Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre in English language (an exploit !) with Adam Cheng and Shih Kien.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Regarding the last sentence (the one I bolded and underlined), wait so you're telling me you didn't know that we had kung fu/martial art TV dramas available on streaming sites?  So you didn't know that TV dramas existed.   I created this topic in September (last month).  I take it you weren't active on this site until just now, am I right?

Well, anyway, I hope to see more of these TV dramas from HK (classic one) and Mainland China making more appearance on streaming sites.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

There are a lot of very good martial arts series. Sadly, only a very few of them are English subbed. If you have the opportunity, you should check TVB's Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre in English language (an exploit !) with Adam Cheng and Shih Kien.

Well sadly, there not as lucrative or attractive like Korean TV dramas are getting.  Maybe South Korea should maybe adapt the Condor Heroes trilogy (which I would love to see).  If South Korea like MBC, KBS, or SBS can adapt Jin Yong's stories into Korean setting, and are able to pull off, then it could help K-drama (and K-pop) fans to discover Jin Yong's stories.

Edited by mdo7
fix something.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mdo7 said:

Regarding the last sentence (the one I bolded and underlined), wait so you're telling me you didn't know that we had kung fu/martial art TV dramas available on streaming sites?  So you didn't know that TV dramas existed.   I created this topic in September (last month).  I take it you weren't active on this site until just now, am I right?

Well, anyway, I hope to see more of these TV dramas from HK (classic one) and Mainland China making more appearance on streaming sites.

I’ve been on this site thirteen years, haha! When it comes to TV dramas, I’ve always felt that they were only found in rare collector circles. I’ve seen clips of classic TV dramas starring Gordon Liu, Yuen Biao etc. but I always saw the clips without subs. I didn’t think any of them were widely available.

A few years ago Ric Meyers sent me a grab bag of kung fu DVD’s and one of those was the Wing Chun TVB series. To this day I haven’t watched it, though intend to do so soon.

I suppose I’ve been a very “safe” kung fu movie collector, rarely straying away from the classics. I mean, I saw my first Bruceploitation movie this year.

So to answer your question, I honestly had no idea kung fu TV dramas were on streaming platforms. Certainly not with English subs. Since I’m expanding my kung fu horizons a little, I did a little digging on tv series and...ta da! This thread popped up.

• Like 6