Any decent Martial Arts films in last 20 years?

J.J. Hayden

I've not seen any good martial arts films for a long time, the golden era was the "Golden Harvest" era for me. Can you recommend any movies in the last 10 years where they did it the proper way, wireless or with as little wire or CG as possible?

Cheers

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SMK said:

First thing that comes to mind, are the Raid films.

Yeah, the first was good and the second ok. The action was some of the best I've seen in a while. I see they managed to waste these talented guys in Disney star wars, just another nail in the coffin.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Furie was pretty decent I thought

Cool. I've seen some Vientnamese before. I remember The Rebel being good but Clash not being that good. Will definitly check it out.

Cheers

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Merantau

Head Shot

Accident Man

Triple Threat

Boyka: Undisputed 4

Undisputed 3

Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

Man of Tai Chi

• Like 9

masterofoneinchpunch

The title says 20 years the first post says 10 years.  With 20 years we get to add a bit more films.

I wish the action direction was better in Headshot.  I still need to see Triple Threat.

I liked the action in Special ID (not a good film) and Kung Fu Jungle (which I think is a good film).

Gallants is always worth a mention. 

• Like 7

.Action wise, The Wrath of Vajra is solid. All three Rurouni Kenshin movies feature the best swordplay I’ve ever seen.

Avengement is one of Scott Adkins’ best. I know it’s not universally adored by I love The Brink. Speaking of Max Zhang, both Ip Man 3 and Master Z were good.

Jailbreak, while annoying at times, features stellar action. I enjoyed all the Detective Dee movies.

• Like 7

• The 2000s:

Kiss of the Dragon (2001)

The Transporter (2002)

Ong Bak (2003)

Throwdown (2004)

Unleashed (2005)

The Protector (2005)

SPL: Kill Zone (2005)

Undisputed 2 (2006)

Fearless (2006)

Flash Point (2007)

Ip Man (2008)

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Ong Bak 2 (2008)

• The 2010s:

Undisputed 3: Redemption (2010)

Ip Man 2 (2010)

Gallants (2010)

Legend of the Fist (2010)

Shaolin (2011)

The Lost Bladesman (2011)

Dragon/Wuxia (2011)

The Raid: Redemption (2011)

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Special ID (2013)

Ninja: Shadow of a Tear (2013)

The Raid 2 (2014)

Kung Fu Jungle (2014)

John Wick (2014)

Ip Man 3 (2015)

Boyka: Undisputed (2016)

The Foreigner (2017)

John Wick 2 (2017)

John Wick 3 (2019)

Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019)

• Like 8

Great list guys. I would only add Bruce Khan's Revenger to the list. I enjoyed his fight style as it was a mix of Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais.

• Like 6

Cheers for all the posts, I haven't been on for a bit so I appologize for not responding. Sorry bout the year change, I managed to think of a few good movies up to 2010 but forgot to change the title :P. I've seen most of these but there are some new to me so will check them out.

Cheers

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Don't think anyone's mentioned Blood and Bone (2009) or Falcon Rising (2014), which are a couple of Michael Jai White's best.

• Like 7

No one mentioned “the night comes for us”this movie was awesome. /Universal soldier the day of reckoning/dragon tiger gate was fun/ chocolate/unleashed/wu xia/once upon a time in Shanghai/kundo/muay Thai warrior/fist of legend (Korean mma movie)/paradox/SPL 2/the shadow/the grandmaster/blade of the immortal/kill bill 1-2

Edited by KCN9NE
  • Like 5

On 9/14/2020 at 4:30 PM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

I've not seen any good martial arts films for a long time, the golden era was the "Golden Harvest" era for me. Can you recommend any movies in the last 10 years where they did it the proper way, wireless or with as little wire or CG as possible?

Cheers

Get Cobra kai season 1 & 2 instead. Scott Adkins films and wolf warriors 2    are good . ( That may have minimal wire work in it , though).

• Like 4

SnakeandCrane
On 9/15/2020 at 4:44 AM, Dredderick_Tatum said:

Yeah, the first was good and the second ok. The action was some of the best I've seen in a while. I see they managed to waste these talented guys in Disney star wars, just another nail in the coffin.

Seriously though.  I  remember being so excited to hear that Yaya Ruhian and Iko Uwais had been added in star wars and all they did was get thrown around by cgi monster.  Talk about a completely wasted opportunity.  Unfortunately Iko has been underutilized is most of his mainstream movie roles. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JJBINKS said:

Get Cobra kai season 1 & 2 instead. Scott Adkins films and wolf warriors 2    are good . ( That may have minimal wire work in it , though).

Loved Cobra Kai S1 it was so funny and is a good example of how to continue a franchise (pen your eyes Hollywood), S2 good too but seems to be getting the Hollywood treatment and losing some sparkle, hopefully S3 will bring it back around. Was dissapointed in the Wolf Warrior films, there wasn't a great deal of martial arts but there was a truckfull of propoganda.

• Like 3

thundered mantis

The Rebel

Re: Born

Karate Kill

The Swordsman (2020)

Martial Club, Stunpeople's and Theyoungmasters shorts

• Like 3

Luc Van Tien - has some ridiculous comedy, but Andy Long and his team (Brian and Andy Le and the Young Masters) made up for it with the amazing action scenes. It is on Tubi TV if you want to check it out. 

• Like 3

thundered mantis
32 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

Luc Van Tien - has some ridiculous comedy, but Andy Long and his team (Brian and Andy Le and the Young Masters) made up for it with the amazing action scenes. It is on Tubi TV if you want to check it out. 

I'm really after it, but tubi's been banned in Europe. Any other way to watch it?

I'll add Fatal Contact

• Like 3

J.J. Hayden
20 hours ago, thundered mantis said:

The Rebel

Re: Born

Karate Kill

The Swordsman (2020)

Martial Club, Stunpeople's and Theyoungmasters shorts

The Rebel was good but I haven't seen the rest. But I have seen Martial Club etc. on YT, they do a great job recreating classic HK style, why does nobody do this anymore.

• Like 2