The Protector (1985)- Who was the Fight Choreographer for that film?

Josh Baker

21 minutes ago, Mike Leeder said:

The Protector isn't ranked as Best Experience by Jackie or any of his team, but if not for his experiences on The Protector we wouldnt have got Police Story

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning any American fight choreographer working on it, the only "american' action scene was the boat chase, the gun fight in the bar was in HK and you can see Armour of Gods Ken Boyle and Paulo Tocha from Bloodsport as patrons

I think on the US edit, Jackie and his team under contract had to play nice with giving James approval over angles and edits, hence Jackie reshooting the ending with Bill Wallace and adding the Lee Hai-sheng fight etc

I think James has a selective memory to say the least, as when Impact interviewed him back in 92/93 he had no idea of there being an alternate edit and reshoots , claiming they wouldn't have been allowed.... and his comments ref Jackie are pretty mental, so you think he wasn't a martial artist and GH had fooled him Jackie into thinking he was a big star...yeah i guess paying him lots of money, producing and releasing his movies to huge box office in Asia was all part of the illusion?

Ref Bill Wallace, i think he just gel with Jackie and the HK way of doing things, he's often spoken that anyone could have done what he did, and i think if you compare what he got to do to Richard Norton etc,. it isnt the best showcase for Wallace

Hmm, this is very interesting. Why employ them in the first place if you're not going to let them do what they want?😂 just hire other Chinese stuntmen- which is what I assumed they did in the first place.

I wonder what the last straw for Jackie was during this tumultuous production- I heard he walked off the set and was forced to return due to contractual obligation.

I also thought Chow would have Jackie's back a bit more in this situation and maybe negotiate to alter the contracts to make it a bit more favorable to Jackie, you know, Chow's main man, rather than be so accommodating to the newcomer Glickenhaus? Or was it just a case of the foreign production company kowtowing to the "powerful" American filmmaker? If so, I thought Chow would have more integrity than that🤷‍♀️

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Hmm, this is very interesting. Why employ them in the first place if you're not going to let them do what they want?😂 just hire other Chinese stuntmen- which is what I assumed they did in the first place.

I wonder what the last straw for Jackie was during this tumultuous production- I heard he walked off the set and was forced to return due to contractual obligation.

I also thought Chow would have Jackie's back a bit more in this situation and maybe negotiate to alter the contracts to make it a bit more favorable to Jackie, you know, Chow's main man, rather than be so accommodating to the newcomer Glickenhaus? Or was it just a case of the foreign production company kowtowing to the "powerful" American filmmaker? If so, I thought Chow would have more integrity than that🤷‍♀️

Raymond had more faith in Glickenhaaus more than he did with Sammo during the production of Heart of Dragon.    I can tell Leonard Ho wasnt too happy to tell Jackie about Glickenhaus iron clade contract of him doing what he wants to do.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SpartainX said:

Raymond had more faith in Glickenhaaus more than he did with Sammo during the production of Heart of Dragon.    I can tell Leonard Ho wasnt too happy to tell Jackie about Glickenhaus iron clade contract of him doing what he wants to do.

Has Leonard Ho ever been interviewed about this production?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Josh Baker said:

Has Leonard Ho ever been interviewed about this production?

I don't recall if he has.  I read  the problems Jackie had in his My Life in Action book tha released in 1998.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 2:48 AM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

wants to expand the fight scenes, do you want to come expand them? I had

Bill Wallace on fighting Jackie:

hat was another really fun experience. We filmed that movie in Hong Kong, and we did two different versions of our fight scene. There was one for the American version of the film that was a knock-down, drag-out fight. Then we did the Chinese version, which had a greater emphasis on the defensive aspect of it. There was one part of the fight where I put a left hook into Jackie’s ribs, and the stunt guys said, “No, that’s not hard enough, you’ve got to make it look hard”, and I didn’t want to. I said, “I’ve got a really mean left hook”, but Jackie wanted me to hit him harder, too, so he put some padding on underneath his jacket, and we went again. I threw the left hook and really nailed him in the ribs. He dropped to the ground as it took the wind right out of him, and I said, “I told you!” (Both laugh)

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Praying Snake said:

Bill Wallace on fighting Jackie:

hat was another really fun experience. We filmed that movie in Hong Kong, and we did two different versions of our fight scene. There was one for the American version of the film that was a knock-down, drag-out fight. Then we did the Chinese version, which had a greater emphasis on the defensive aspect of it. There was one part of the fight where I put a left hook into Jackie’s ribs, and the stunt guys said, “No, that’s not hard enough, you’ve got to make it look hard”, and I didn’t want to. I said, “I’ve got a really mean left hook”, but Jackie wanted me to hit him harder, too, so he put some padding on underneath his jacket, and we went again. I threw the left hook and really nailed him in the ribs. He dropped to the ground as it took the wind right out of him, and I said, “I told you!” (Both laugh)

This Thread is becoming more fun.

• Like 5

On 9/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, SpartainX said:

This Thread is becoming more fun.

This happened with Stallone. He hired Ernie Shavers to play Clubber Lang in Rocky 3, but during a rehearsal Shavers broke Stallone's ribs. Stallone decided it was better to hire a guy that looked tough then one that could really fight, hence, Mr. T.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

This happened with Stallone. He hired Ernie Shavers to play Clubber Lang in Rocky 3, but during a rehearsal Shavers broke Stallone's ribs. Stallone decided it was better to hire a guy that looked tough then one that could really fight, hence, Mr. T.

That often happens when you hire real fighters that don't know how to pull their punches for the camara.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SpartainX said:

Great work, I pictured how exactly how the hack pitched The Protector.

Thanks bro👊 hope you liked my New Yoik accent😂

• Like 3