Martial arts Anime & Live action TV shows from the 70's

edher_M.A.

My real first exposure to martial arts action entertainment, even before Kung Fu movies, was the anime TV shows that were huge in latinamerica in the 70s early 80s. I remember vividly that i prefered to watch this instead of other cartoons. Latinamerica was a hotspot for japanese animation and entertainment because in South America there was a big colony of japanese who arrived after WWII and stayed there, even Perú had a japanese President.

This animes didn't hold back. They showed Yakuza, gun fights, death people, katana duels with slashing and proper RED blood, etc. No kids were traumitized, or went out to kill anyone, if anything, we were inspired to go and do martial arts (or at least play pretending as i did with my cousins lol).

Some of the more popular were:

Sawamu the Destroyer: the story about the real life Karate practitioner who after suffering a defeat from a Thai Boxer, decide to learn the art and becomes a champion in that sport.

Sam the King of Judo: after having his dad killed in a duel, the Judo kid (thats how we called him lol) decided to find his dad's killer to avenge his death.

Kamui the Ninja Desertor: A ninja called Kamui abandon his clan and have other ninjas chasing after him to kill him.

Together with live-action like Sakoukai (a badass show starring a very young Hiroyuki Sanada) a combination of spaceship battlers and martial arts , made my childhood great and a lover of japanese culture even to this day.

I'm wondering if you guys in USA, Europe, Africa, were able to see this Shows.

• Like 3