What would have become these movies if...

ShawAngela

A question came to my mind while looking at some stars' filmographies : what would have become this or this movie, if this or this star had starred in it ?

Let's begin with Lo Lieh.

What if he had starred in The convict killer, The heroic ones, Have sword will travel, The duel, Shaolin mantis, Twelve gold medallions ?

What are your thoughts ?

• Like 4

He may have added something to The Convict killer,I think he would have been a better boss but when it comes to films like Shaolin Mantis,whether it’s Lau Kar wings role or David Chiangs role his lack of martial arts ability would have been a problem.I don’t think he would have handled the action as well as those two.I always thought Fist of the white lotus as good as he and the film is would have been better with a full fledged martial artist in the role.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

As big a DC fan as I am... look at my avatar... I always felt he was miscast in Shaolin Mantis and Abbott of Shaolin. Nothing to do with his screen fighting skills, but he was just not a good fit for those roles.

Same with Ti Lung in Shaolin Prince. Shaolin Prince should have had Derek Yee as the lead and then someone else filling his part. For Abbott of Shaolin the obvious choice would be Gordon, or really ANY Shaw actor of the day willing to shave the dome.

Shaolin Mantis is a tough one... of the Lau Kar Leung players, I think Wong Yue would have been worse than DC and Gordon wouldn't really have worked as a "romantic" lead for me. Though do I think Ti Lung would have been the better choice here.

• Like 3

I think he would have been good in Convict Killer as the villain also. Two of my favorite films are Pursuit Of Vengeance and Perils Of The Sentimental Swordsman . I always thought Ti Lung / Lo Lieh was a more interesting team than Ti Lung / David Chiang. Imagine if Lo Lieh was in The Duel with Ti and had that same cool cat confidence he showed in The Flying Dagger. That would have been an even more bad ass flick ! 

• Like 3

And what would have happened if it had been someone else playing in King boxer ? The obvious name that comes to my mind is Wang Yu, but if could have been as well Chang Yi, or Ku Feng, or even Wong Yuen San, or Chen Sing, or Yu Tien Lung...

You all have good comments about this matter, thanks for your answers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I thought it was common knowledge that Lo Lieh makes any movie better.

You surely are right, but still (as our données often say in movies...😁), I can't help but think that if Yu Tien Lung had played the lead in King Boxer, it would have become a furious and very powerful movie at a superior level...

And I wonder what would have happened if Angela Mao had played the female lead in a Shaw Brothers' movie...

• Like 3

On 9/6/2020 at 2:21 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Same with Ti Lung in Shaolin Prince. Shaolin Prince should have had Derek Yee as the lead and then someone else filling his part. For Abbott of Shaolin the obvious choice would be Gordon, or really ANY Shaw actor of the day willing to shave the dome.

Shaolin Mantis is a tough one... of the Lau Kar Leung players, I think Wong Yue would have been worse than DC and Gordon wouldn't really have worked as a "romantic" lead for me. Though do I think Ti Lung would have been the better choice here.

I agree with you about Shaolin Prince. The comedic styling of the movie just doesn't suit Ti Lung, his acting looks very awkward!

Not for me! Just cannot see Ti Lung doing Mantis Style with any conviction, and no, I'm not a Ti Lung hater! LoL

Bless

Edited by ukrevrend
deleted a line
  • Like 3

Secret Executioner

Lo Lieh in Have Sword, will travel could have worked on a lot of aspects. I think the lack of trust in the lead character would have made more sense with his mug. That or have him as the leader of the convoy - a proud and jealous jerk would fit Lo Lieh better than Ti Lung IMO.

• Like 2