Idol (2019) Korean Thriller

laagi

Apparently this movie made a bit of a splash during its screening at the 2019 Berlinale, as well as leaving the domestic audience confused and disappointed. Nevertheless the trailer had me intrigued enough to give it a chance. Right off the bat overall I did enjoy it, although I'm not quite sure as to why. It's really nothing special but somehow it kept me captivated for its long while not unusual runtime of 160 minutes. The movie opens with one of the most disturbing monolugues I've watched or heard in a long time. However it does somehow set the mood for the entire film. While in the first 30 minutes it feels like your standard korean thriller it starts twisting and turning and leaving you wondering where its heading. Surely it is thanks to some excellent performances of the entire cast but Han Suk Kyu and Sol Kyung Gu really keep it going. Also the movie keeps you guessing, which I personally like as it gives you a sense of immersion. However it is a thin line between immersion and confusion. One thing I considered an interesting choice was the depiction of violence. It is there but not in the way you expect. Sometimes just showing you horrific imaginary and then just before some gruesome scene it cuts away. You feel what happens but you don't see it. Last but not least throughout the course of its runtime you can't help but feel that none of the protagonists are really likeable and that all of them have their own shady past one way or the other. I'm not sure I could recommend this to everyone as I'm certain viewers will be divided. I for once was happy I gave it a watch!

• Like 3