Lovecraft Country 2020 (HBO)

laagi

Who's watching? I loved the first episode but towards the end of it I got a bit worried. Now that I just finished the second episode unfortunately some of these worries got confirmed. It's a bit of a mess with a sudden shift in tone. While the series starts of as an adventure with a glimpse into the lives of afro-americans in the 50's it shifts rather quickly into the obscure world of ocult, wizard and magic. It's not bad and given the title should probably be expected but it's such a hard turn after one episode I found it hard to digest. What I will say though is the main cast is doing a terrific job with Jonathan Majors leading the way. I found myself far more invested into the segregation shown in the first episode rather than the horror and fantasy of the second one. I hope they can get back on track with the third episode. It's an interesting mix and idea but at least to me it works better if the lovecraft horror complements the real life horror of many afro-american during this era. I'll keep watching...

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laagi said:

It's an interesting mix and idea but at least to me it works better if the lovecraft horror complements the real life horror of many afro-american during this era. I'll keep watching...

Are you a fan of Lovecraft's stories?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gaijin84 said:

Are you a fan of Lovecraft's stories?

Truth be told I know little to none of his stories. Obviously not the best prerequisite for this series. I did however find myself rather interested in the whole cthulhu myth.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I know nothing about HP Lovecraft other than “monsters” and “he was racist”. With that said, the first episode of the show blew my socks off. I would have continued watching if it was just a story about the plight of African Americans in a racist society. But then the monsters came along and everything got even better.

Looking forward to watching the second episode tonight.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Episode two goes off the rails a little. In a good way...I think? 

My only issue is that nothing is contextualized. It’s just BOOM, this happens. BOOM, this exists. It moves at a weirdly rapid rate and doesn’t allow you to take a breath. It’s just bizarre.

I liked it. I like what’s going on. It’s just a lot to take in. Maybe too much.

• Like 4

On 8/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, Drunken Monk said:

“he was racist”

He was racist, although I think he tended more to the side of general misanthropist that distrusted anyone who wasn't a White New Englander. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

My only issue is that nothing is contextualized. It’s just BOOM, this happens. BOOM, this exists. It moves at a weirdly rapid rate and doesn’t allow you to take a breath. It’s just bizarre.

Exactly how I felt about episode 2. Loved episode 1 though.

Looking forward to see the pacing of episode 3, and if they slow things down a bit.

• Like 3

It picked up again in episode 3 at least to me. Episode 4 was okay but featured too many cheap sets that looked like a haunted house in an amusement park. Episode 5 is... violent! I mean generally speaking some of the violence on display here, my god. It is pretty over the top for a series. Not that I have a problem with it but yeah. Also interesting that they try to tackle other issues like sexuality and female empowerment during a time of segregation. It's an interesting mix but maybe a bit too much to be crammed in to a lovecraft themed series. Overall it's still a mixed bag.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

I'm loving everything but the main plot. The whole "pages of the book" and the "language of Adam" thing kind of bores me. But everything else is pretty excellent.

While episode 5 tried to do an awful lot, I think it was one of the nest episodes so far. The concept was very, very interesting and the special effects were incredible. The rap scene was a little gratuitous but I under why they shot it that way.

It's still a good show. It just has the potential to go a little too off the rails at any moment.

• Like 2

@Drunken Monk I agree episode 5 was very enjoyable. Probably my favourite since the first one. Was unsure which scene you referred to but now I know. My wife who sat thru with me had to close her eyes more than once :coveredlaugh Ouch!

• Like 3

Episode 6 - Easily the best so far! As mentioned by @venom10463 it all takes place in Korea, which is a welcome change of scenery. And without giving too much away, Jamie Chung really knocks this one out of the park!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laagi said:

Episode 6 - Easily the best so far! As mentioned by @venom10463 it all takes place in Korea, which is a welcome change of scenery. And without giving too much away, Jamie Chung really knocks this one out of the park!

Jamie Chung's acting was indeed phenomenal. The scenes of her idly staring were captivating. She is blossoming into a great actress. Hopefully we'll get to see more of her character in the remaining episodes.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, venom10463 said:

Jamie Chung's acting was indeed phenomenal. The scenes of her idly staring were captivating. She is blossoming into a great actress. Hopefully we'll get to see more of her character in the remaining episodes.

And she looks great naked! UGh, I'm such a pig....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This reminds me of Tia Carrera posing nude in Playboy. She figured she still looked ripe, why not preserve it for posterity while she could. But Chung has grown so much as an actress, but she also has been stuck in a lot of b-roles, I assume her motivation was that it was a great part, lots of episodes, and hey, nudity was part of the character, so be it. She's going to get better work because of this. But still, she looks fantastic....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

And she looks great naked! UGh, I'm such a pig....

She looked absolutely stunning. As I watching that scene. I said to myself... "is she going to show her breasts". I was actually quite shocked she decided to do a nude scene but I'm not complaining. Did anyone watch her when she was on the Real World San Diego? 

• Like 2

I agree with everyone else: episode 6 was fantastic. I’d like an entire show set against the backdrop of wartime Korea focusing on magic and demons. This episode held its own compared to the rest of the show. Loved every minute of it.

Jamie Chung surprised me. I haven’t really seen her in much but here she was top notch.

• Like 2

Can somebody please explain to me WTF happened to Jamie Chung's character in the last episode!? I sincerely hope we'll see her again, otherwise what a waste of character and talent! Also these last two episodes were all over the place. I've had difficulties keeping up. This show has so many great things going for it and at the same time I'm utterly frustrated with it. Now I'm curious how they'll end the first season with only two episodes to go.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 4:51 AM, laagi said:

Can somebody please explain to me WTF happened to Jamie Chung's character in the last episode!? I sincerely hope we'll see her again, otherwise what a waste of character and talent! Also these last two episodes were all over the place. I've had difficulties keeping up. This show has so many great things going for it and at the same time I'm utterly frustrated with it. Now I'm curious how they'll end the first season with only two episodes to go.

The over-arching plot is a nightmare. It's absolutely all over the place as you say. I like the show for its individual stories rather than its primary story. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the main story of the show puts me off quite a bit.

• Like 2