Dean Shek

ShawAngela

I know that there are a lot of people here who don't appreciate Dean Shek, but I thought that he deserves his own thread, though.

Here are some screenshots of him in the CTV 1977 series Bi Xue Jian.

According to wikipedia, he played in only two series : this one and Saga of Sui and Tang Dynasties, that I already mentioned in another thread.

It's a good change to see him playing serious roles and fighting...

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h31m27s309.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h20m29s741.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h19m47s577.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h14m41s308.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h06m47s747.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-20h10m56s462.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-19h59m06s349.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-19h58m44s539.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-19-19h58m18s338.png

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

I first became aware that he did not only play horribly annoying roles when I saw Shaw movie THE FUGITIVE where he is a really likable character. I also appreciate his performance in A BETTER TOMORROW II, however, the scenes where he is crazed grieving are definitely too long. 

• Like 2

I didn't know why, but I've never been interested in betting nor watching A better tomorrow...Maybe I miss something, but the few traitées I saw in the VHS times didn't appeal to me...

• Like 2

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master would have been a whole lot less fun without him. Yes he's over the top, but then most comedy of that era was, and whatever you think of him as an actor, the fact that Jackie and Sammo chose to work with him time and again counts for a lot. Although I could have done without Master Rocking in The Odd Couple.

• Like 4

We, non Asian people, aren't maybe skilled enough to understand Chinese humor and the English dubbing doesn't help very much...After all, Dean Shek played what he was asked to play, and since it seems that it worked very well with the Chinese audience, why stop this kind of role ?

But I wonder if he wasn't a little bit disappointed, if not bored, to be almost only cast in this kind of roles, while he was able to play serious roles too...

I read on Wikipedia that he directed some movies I would have never thought of him as the director, really good movies, and that shows that he was multi talented.

On another side, it's also mentioned that he created a film company with Karl Maka and Raymond Wong, and Karl Maka often plays similar annoying characters to Dean Shek's ones, so, this association doesn't surprise me at all.

And I can't help but laugh at Dean Shek's comedy, sorry for those who don't appreciate him...😁

• Like 3

I respected the skills he had kept hidden behind some of the 'fool' roles he played. He was pretty tall or looked that way to me.

He passed October 31 2021 and it really bums me out to hear this

I took a while to come around, but he was fantastic. Rest in peace.

• Like 4

I enjoyed him in more serious roles like in 18 Fatal Strikes as one of the good guys with Tung Wei.

RIP Dean Shek

• Like 3

I don‘t mind his silly acts I just mind the silly dubbing.

Still prefer his more serious roles. The pirate or the delinquent ( though he is a bit weird still here)

• Like 2