Alternate Versions of The Seventh Curse (1986)

ShaolinMasterKiller

Question

ShaolinMasterKiller

So I've been meaning to watch The Seventh Curse, and in doing a quick preview to try and decide between watching it streaming in HD online or via an old SD DVD someone gave to me some years back, I realized that despite being two minutes shorter according to the runtimes (although this may be the result of a PAL / NTSC thing), the DVD starts with an introductory scene where the main characters are at a party and are asked to tell a story about one of their adventures which, of course, leads us into a freeze frame, the title card (pictured below), and the movie that follows, while the streaming version omits this intro and just starts with the title card over black.

Does anyone with knowledge about the various cuts of this movie know, based on that info about the opening, which two versions I'm dealing with, and which one I should be watching if I want the most "uncut" version? I found mention of an "extended epilogue" that exists "on the German DVD and Japanese LD", but the ending of both versions look like they're basically the same, using only slightly differing combinations of dialogue-free footage from the party intro under the credits.

vlcsnap-2020-08-17-15h08m45s539.png

Edited by ShaolinMasterKiller
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

NoKUNGFUforYU
54 minutes ago, ShaolinMasterKiller said:

So I've been meaning to watch The Seventh Curse, and in doing a quick preview to try and decide between watching it streaming in HD online or via an old SD DVD someone gave to me some years back, I realized that despite being two minutes shorter according to the runtimes (although this may be the result of a PAL / NTSC thing), the DVD starts with an introductory scene where the main characters are at a party and are asked to tell a story about one of their adventures which, of course, leads us into a freeze frame, the title card (pictured below), and the movie that follows, while the streaming version omits this intro and just starts with the title card over black.

Does anyone with knowledge about the various cuts of this movie know, based on that info about the opening, which two versions I'm dealing with, and which one I should be watching if I want the most "uncut" version? I found mention of an "extended epilogue" that exists "on the German DVD and Japanese LD", but the ending of both versions look like they're basically the same, using only slightly differing combinations of dialogue-free footage from the party intro under the credits.

vlcsnap-2020-08-17-15h08m45s539.png

There was nudity cut on the VHS I had that was restored. I had a crazy idea that someone could go back in and make the monsters look much better with modern CGI, but keep the rest of the movie the same. Due for a remake anyway....

Not sure if this helps as its been many years since i saw it but the uk had 2 releases, one full screen im sure english dubbed and another subbed in widescreen. Im sure i ended up buying both and with the exception of the opening and closing dinner party scenes it was just some nudity that was missing from the fullscreen version. The widescreen version wasnt cut per se but the nudity had black bars blocking the pubic area. Hope this helps but not sure of the sources for the versions you are watching. 

• Like 1

Here's what the movie's wikipedia page has to say:

• In the original theatrical release, after the monster-killing climax, there's another by-the-pool-party scene (same pool as seen in the beginning of the film, but is supposed to be another party) in which Maggie Cheung's character makes up with Dr. Yuen. Then, we cut to the original party-scene that starts off the movie with Dr. Yuen, Wisely, Ni Kuang (the real author of the two pulp-novel series) and a bunch of beautiful girls. As the author finishes telling the movie's story to the girls, one of them asks if he has another adventure story to tell. The author replies, "Well, we have to see what exciting adventures Dr. Yuen and Wisely are going to have." The two main characters come into frame, toast and finish their drink. Freeze-frame, then comes the end-title music and credits.
  • In the first video release available in Hong Kong during the late 1980s-early 1990s, the last two scenes were completely cut out, so as the very last close-up of Bachu, the native girl. Instead it is replaced with a two-shot of her and her lover, while the end credits roll partly over its freeze-frame, partly over black. Also, in that video release, the native girl's nude scenes were partly censored with the explicit body parts blacked out to make the film more "family-oriented".
  • In the DVD-edition, the second-to-last scene in the original theatrical release is cut out, whilst the final scene is retained, but with the end credits rolling over. The original dialogues are replaced with the end-title music.

Here's dvdcompare's conclusion:

The Hong Kong Joy Sales release for the anamorphic transfer, original mono tracks and a proper transfer.
The identical US Tai Seng and Hong Kong Universe releases have 5.1 tracks but have non-anamorphic transfers.

The gist, unless I'm miss-understanding, is that none of the video releases match the theatrical release and that none of them are more complete than the other, just different.  If you've got the JS Legendary release, watch that one, if not pick the one that looks the best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Red Lion said:

Not sure if this helps as its been many years since i saw it but the uk had 2 releases, one full screen im sure english dubbed and another subbed in widescreen. Im sure i ended up buying both and with the exception of the opening and closing dinner party scenes it was just some nudity that was missing from the fullscreen version. The widescreen version wasnt cut per se but the nudity had black bars blocking the pubic area. Hope this helps but not sure of the sources for the versions you are watching. 

I remember the black bars. Super disappointing, that gal had a great body. I saw the uncut version. The movie is dated, but if you had a good buzz going it's a blast!!

• Like 1