When People Wear Rope in Old Kung Fu Movies

ShaolinMasterKiller

Question

ShaolinMasterKiller

I've always wondering, watching old-school Kung Fu movies - What was the purpose of people wearing a rope tied around them, often intricately, like you see in this screenshot from Shaolin Mantis? Is it actually a preventative measure against bladed weapons? Some sort of strengthening/conditioning thing? Just a good way to have a long length of rope handy? Shibari-adjacent kink?

rope.jpg

• Like 3

6 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, ShaolinMasterKiller said:

I've always wondering, watching old-school Kung Fu movies - What was the purpose of people wearing a rope tied around them, often intricately, like you see in this screenshot from Shaolin Mantis? Is it actually a preventative measure against bladed weapons? Some sort of strengthening/conditioning thing? Just a good way to have a long length of rope handy? Shibari-adjacent kink?

rope.jpg

In Shaolin Mantis, they utilized the rope to fight off one of her uncles. In most kung fu films, I've seen it used as a weapon, a tool to access high areas, and as an accessory for their clothing.

Edited by venom10463
  • Like 7

Secret Executioner

Could be something to block a blade (if the rope is thick and strong enough) or maybe a posture thing ? Seems like it would force one to stand up straight.

• Like 3

Chaing Sheng wore a white one in Invincible Shaolin and he was a light skill expert that used the pole with the chain and stick attached to the end.  I believe it must have something to do with weapons combat as well.

• Like 3

It seems to me that David Chiang used it in Deadly duo when he "flies" under the bridge or I don't remember what in order to approach the King's palace, or am I mistaken ?

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
4 hours ago, CT KID said:

Chaing Sheng wore a white one in Invincible Shaolin and he was a light skill expert that used the pole with the chain and stick attached to the end.  I believe it must have something to do with weapons combat as well.

It could be used to carry the pole while keeping his hands free when climbing up a wall or between battles ? And in combat I could see the opponent's weapon get meshed and eventually stuck in there. Like a way to neutralize the enemy's weapon if one moves well and in certain ways ?

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

I imagine is might be to make sure your clothing doesn't get caught. Also, David Chiang was super frail (one of the only stars to never take off his shirt) so it might have been a choice of outfit to add a little size to him.

• Like 4