Happy 30th Anniversary Bullet in The Head

SpartainX

On August 17, 1990. Bullet in the Head 喋血街頭 was released in theaters in Hong Kong. 30 years ago, making it one of the last HK Flims that John Woo made before departing for Hollywood.

t01658gymsw.jpg

• Like 5

Great film! There were plans for a bluray release of this using a brand new source in full genuine HD. But the problem was the original film negative of Woo's original theatrical cut (136 min) was never found and is believed to be long gone by now. This led to all plans being cancelled.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DiP said:

Great film! There were plans for a bluray release of this using a brand new source in full genuine HD. But the problem was the original film negative of Woo's original theatrical cut (136 min) was never found and is believed to be long gone by now. This led to all plans being cancelled.

That's a shame, could have been a great release.

• Like 5

On 8/18/2020 at 2:44 AM, DiP said:

Man that's just sad. This is by far one of my favourite movie of all time! However I'd be surprised if the DVD/Blu Ray cut (125 Min) isn't out there on 35mm. I also remember that a shorter version had different or alternate footage as well as a english trailer (featured on a dutch DVD; best release to date). I'd be more than happy to even just get a genuine HD transfer of the movie by now. The festival cut would've been great but hey beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 8/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, SpartainX said:

On August 17, 1990. Bullet in the Head 喋血街頭 was released in theaters in Hong Kong. 30 years ago, making it one of the last HK Flims that John Woo made before departing for Hollywood.

t01658gymsw.jpg

I was lucky enough to see this in the theater, and my friends and I were blown away. We had seen Woo's previous movies, so we knew it would kick ass, but we weren't prepared for how darkly emotional it was. After seeing lighter, fun stuff like DRAGONS FOREVER, THE MASTER, GOD OF GAMBLERS, and ROBOTRIX at that theater, this was shocking- like having a bucket of cold water thrown in your face... followed by hot lead! A fantastic film.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, DiP said:

It's heartbreaking when you hear about classic cinema that no longer has original materials.

4 hours ago, laagi said:

Man that's just sad. This is by far one of my favourite movie of all time! However I'd be surprised if the DVD/Blu Ray cut (125 Min) isn't out there on 35mm. I also remember that a shorter version had different or alternate footage as well as a english trailer (featured on a dutch DVD; best release to date). I'd be more than happy to even just get a genuine HD transfer of the movie by now. The festival cut would've been great but hey beggars can't be choosers.

This one has a lot of versions. First I saw the 35mm print, then traded a friend for a VHS which to my surprise had a different cut of the film. Then I found it in a rental store, and rented it hoping to get an improved picture over the previous tape. And lo and behold- another version! And on and on. Seeing it with a completely different ending really blew my mind too.

• Like 4

This might be a bold statement but wouldn't it be surprising if John Woo held on to his 35mm print or preferred version? Or has this already been debunked by an interview of his? All we know for sure is that the festival cut was shown at one point. So who knows, maybe somebody did keep it? Look how many other movies have been unearthed and they are arguably not near the quality of this masterpiece. Although that's purely objective. I'd start reaching out to the Festivals which showed it, maybe they got an archive? I mean the bootleg VHS must have come from somewhere or someone. Hope springs eternal!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

I was lucky enough to see this in the theater, and my friends and I were blown away. We had seen Woo's previous movies, so we knew it would kick ass, but we weren't prepared for how darkly emotional it was. After seeing lighter, fun stuff like DRAGONS FOREVER, THE MASTER, GOD OF GAMBLERS, and ROBOTRIX at that theater, this was shocking- like having a bucket of cold water thrown in your face... followed by hot lead! A fantastic film.

There's one particular scene towards the end of the movie which makes me cry every time. 

Spoiler

Ben (Tony Leung) pointing his gun at Frank's (Jacky Cheung) head to end his misery. But Frank slowly takes it down to his chest and as a last wish of his brother Ben pulls the trigger. The whole build up to this particular scene is just incredible!

• Like 4

Subaru Driver #1
On 9/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, laagi said:

This might be a bold statement but wouldn't it be surprising if John Woo held on to his 35mm print or preferred version? Or has this already been debunked by an interview of his? All we know for sure is that the festival cut was shown at one point. So who knows, maybe somebody did keep it? Look how many other movies have been unearthed and they are arguably not near the quality of this masterpiece. Although that's purely objective. I'd start reaching out to the Festivals which showed it, maybe they got an archive? I mean the bootleg VHS must have come from somewhere or someone. Hope springs eternal!

Right now, money is being raised for a 4K scan of a fan-owned 35 mm print. After that is done, @jrodefeld is going to do his restoration magic for a future HKR Blu-Ray release which I will definitely be buying. Maybe we can also persuade him to put a 4K version of the restored print online for download.

Here’s a short video about it from Hong Kong Cinema Appreciation Society (great YouTube channel btw).

Edited by Subaru Driver #1
  • Like 4