Blade of the 47 Ronin (2022 - Anna Akana/Mark Dacascos/Mike Moh/Dustin Nguyen)

laagi

via comingsoon.net

The new film will be set 300 years in the future in an exotic cyberpunk world and will offer a re-imagining on both the original 2013 film and its loose source material Chūshingura, with sources reporting the film will incorporate horror elements alongside its modern samurai and ninja elements.

That's kind of a weird choice but hey who knows might make for an interesting and entertaining mix. Also Mr. Reeves sure likes to keep himself busy lately...

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, laagi said:

via comingsoon.net

That's kind of a weird choice but hey who knows might make for an interesting and entertaining mix. Also Mr. Reeves sure likes to keep himself busy lately...

yes, any bullshit that bears an "oriental" name he throws himself in the middle. I hope he starts to let the fights go (rhetorical phrase, because I know very well that given the success of Wick it will continue until 90 years) but someone has to tell him that it is slow, or they should fast forward the fights like in some old films

According to Deadline, the only confirmation is that Ron Yuan will be directing. It didn't confirm that Keanu is involved in the sequel. Besides, I think he would be too busy with the back-to-back John Wick Chapters 4 & 5.

“I’m incredibly excited to be working with Universal and the producing team on this genre-blending, martial arts, action, horror and cyber-punk film,” said Yuan. “This will be a fun, intense, supercharged thrill ride for viewers globally.”

• Like 3

On 8/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, JackieRome said:

yes, any bullshit that bears an "oriental" name he throws himself in the middle. I hope he starts to let the fights go (rhetorical phrase, because I know very well that given the success of Wick it will continue until 90 years) but someone has to tell him that it is slow, or they should fast forward the fights like in some old films

To be fair he ain't as bad as let's say Steven Seagal... Right :coveredlaugh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aimee Garcia and former WWE superstar AJ Mendez (AJ Lee and the wife of Phil "CM Punk" Brooks) will be writing the screenplay for the new film, which is set 300 years in the future. The film will be influenced by both the 2013 film and the source material Chushingura. Ron Yuan is still signed to direct.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/lucifer-vet-to-pen-47-ronin-sequel/

• Like 2

New update: The sequel has an official name: Blade of the 47 Ronin and the star of the film is someone I never heard of, Anna Akana. The film will debut on Netflix on October 25. 

Teresa Ting, Mark Dacascos, Dustin Nguyen, Mike Moh, Chris Pang, and Dan Southworth co-star in the film. (Film Combat Syndicate)

An evil witch named Yurei, whose ancestor was slain by one of the 47 Ronin, has surfaced in modern-day Budapest determined to have his revenge. Yurei seeks to completely destroy all samurai by uniting both halves of the powerful Tengu Sword. A prophecy claims only a descendant of the original 47 Ronin can wield the blade and defeat this great evil. The samurai are shocked when Lord Shinshiro identifies a streetwise New Yorker named Luna as the one who was prophesied. He charges ronin Reo and apprentice Onami with training Luna to be the hero they desperately need. With most of the samurai lords dead or missing, and a traitor hiding among them, the remaining warriors must summon all of their skills as martial arts masters to combat Yurei’s mystic magic and fulfill their destiny.

The FCS link above has a 10-minute preview of the film.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

If I may quote my Fu brother @AlbertV Safe to say this movie is a waste of time.

40 minutes in and I switched it off. Sorry but I refuse to invest any more of my time in these mediocre at best productions.

The "cyberpunk" setting is laughable and non-existent. Production value like props, costumes, locations, CGI just scream made for streaming cheap! And I mean this in the worst possible way.

And don't get me started on the dialogue and acting. It's pretty amateurish and clearly intended for a certain generation. That's probably why a among other things a YouTuber was cast as the leading female role!?

The action would be somewhat okay and that's me being very forgivable. Unfortunately every scene has the same generic sound and constant slow-mow mixed into it.

Thanks but no thanks. Steer clear of this unless you're really desperate for some Martial Arts related content.

Shame as there would've been obviously some talent at least in front of the camera. Oh well another one for the bin.

• Like 1

Blade of the 47 Ronin is a fairly solid pilot for a CW show. Sadly, it is not a good movie. I may be echoing what others have said here but everything is half-arsed. From the plot to the awful script, to the action. Anyone calling this film cyberpunk is off their tits. There's nothing cyberpunk about it. A very neon lights, maybe?

The fight scenes are...ok? Serviceable? But they're all exactly the same. Block, block, slit the throat. Block, block, slow motion, slit the throat. Block, block, kick, slit the throat. It's all very lazy. Like I said, for a tv show it would be fine. But I think I've seen some fight scenes in Arrow that are better than this.

The lead actress has very little going for her besides the fact she's very pretty. She has a few decent one-liners but otherwise she's bland as hell. Probably more down to the script than the actress.
And I don't know what the fuck Mark Macascos is doing. He hams things up insanely here. It's sad to see him in something like this. Although, it's obvious he still has the actions skills at times.

One thing I will say, it's directed quite well.

If you can turn your brain off and watch this as a feature length Power Rangers-style show, you'll find some enjoyment. It's a bad film but I didn't hate it. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, Drunken Monk said:

If you can turn your brain off and watch this as a feature length Power Rangers-style show, you'll find some enjoyment. It's a bad film but I didn't hate it. 

Funny you mentioned Power Rangers considering former Rangers Yoshi Sudarso (Dino Charge) and Dan Southworth (Time Force) ate in the movie

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

The wife and I watched this on Saturday. It was kinda meh. Mark Dacascos wasn't completely wasted in it, but most of his action was relegated to swordplay. Think he threw 1 kick. Really enjoyed Dustin Nguyen's performance and his fight scenes were pretty good. I will say this: the action wisely ramped up as the film progressed, so the choreography got gradually better and better. Of all the female characters Aya (Chikako Fukuyama) had the best fight scenes. She needs more starring roles.

• Like 3