Curse of the Golden Flower & The Banquet (aka 'Legend of the Black Scorpion') (2006)

Guest teako170

The Amazing Psycho Per

I thought it was pretty good.

The story draws a lot of inspiration from Shakespeare's Hamlet. Although, it's not wall to wall action, what there is is pretty good. As a point of comparaison, the movie is in the same "lineage" as Zhang Yimou's latest wuxia efforts. I'd say it's better then COTGF and House of Flying Daggers, but comes second to Hero.

I enjoyed it, but not something I'll watch again any time soon. Dragon and Psycho Per pretty much summed up my fellings on the film as well.

Way of the Dragon

I thought this movie looks pretty good. Ziyi is so beautiful lol

It looks like a very "arty" film, like 'House of the flying daggers' or 'Curse of the golden flower'. I prefer more traditional kung fu films to be honest.

Has anyone seen this movies if so I'd like some info on it, does it have any good action scenes and how is the storyline?

i saw The Banquet a few years ago and it was just okay, nothing too noteworthy. admittedly, Zhang Ziyi was the main attraction.

Secret Executioner

Got both on DVD.

COGF is really good. Interesting plot, good twists and the film itself is really beautiful to look at. By comparison with other movies from the same director it's not as good as Hero[/i), but I find it superior to HOFD (which isn't a bad film, but it's my least favorite of these three). Highly recommended.

I have The Banquet sitting around somewhere, but I haven't watched it. Picked it out of curiosity, but the overall negativity around this one makes me wonder whether I should have. :squigglemouth:

• Like 1

I own the Banquet and have attempted to pay close attention...but...still...

It is a real SNOOZE-FEST for me.

Prescribe this movie for people with insomnia.

The Banquet (2006) aka Legend of the Black Scorpion aka Inimigos do Império - I felt every second of that movie's 130-minute run time. Lord, that was LONG. Yes, the technical aspects are impeccable (putting this ahead of The Promise)--the set design, the costumes, the make-up, the photography and Yuen Woo-Ping's action direction (there's probably about 10 minutes or so of action spread between four set pieces, the last two being quite brief)--but man, that was a long slog. It's not really until the last 15 minutes or so the movie showed any real emotion. I can't see myself watching this again, unless I want to remind myself what the fight scenes were like.

• Like 2