Curse of the Golden Flower & The Banquet (aka 'Legend of the Black Scorpion') (2006)

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

Hey, don't write off Chow Yun-Fat Chow too quickly. He's got a couple of moves -- not to mention being a part of the "Gun-Fu Hall of Fame." :)

And speaking of CYF.... looking forward to seeing him as Captain Sao Feng in Pirates of the Caribbean 3.

Guest limubai2000

Apparently if you post in the Modern forum about gunplay, heroic bloodshed or movies that are NOT strictly martial arts films like Crank then you get berated, belittled, or your thread moved. Also some people in this particular part of the forum are "qualified" to comment on films whilst others of us *are not and our opinions suck or are wrong*.

And yes some of us are looking forward to Golden Armor as it does feature CYF and it does have some period fighting with weapons... last I checked that is pretty close to martial arts to me. (ok I'm waiting for the fanboy rants about this now...)

Guest Isfahani

STFU you n00b, who told you you knew anything about real modern MA films ok? You never heard of Tony Jaa, the ultimate kung fu fighter from INdonesia, didja, huh? Your opinion is wrong and it sucks.

Well, at least I beat them to it. :rollin

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go read up on this film.

Apparently if you post in the Modern forum about gunplay, heroic bloodshed or movies that are NOT strictly martial arts films like Crank then you get berated, belittled, or your thread moved. Also some people in this particular part of the forum are "qualified" to comment on films whilst others of us *are not and our opinions suck or are wrong*.

:rollin

I'm looking forward to it, CYF is a great actor, it doesn't need to be strait up kung fu to be a great movie, but then again, I was looking forword to the Promise.

Guest limubai2000

The new trailer on Sina.com shows alot more action and its looks like CYF will be fighting!!!!

AND

John Woo just signed the deal for Battle of Red Cliff, at a whopping $50 million in cost, 70% from Lion Rock, 30% from Chinese investors. Starring CYF!!!!!! Set construction has already begun.

Guest jirpy100

I'd like to voice my opinion, but unfortunately my opinion and sources suck too and I'm not able to judge films either, so I'll leave that to a certain "man"....

Guess we'll have to find another hobby limubai...

Hi,

I just checked out "The Banquet", the new Zhang Ziyi flick & was wondering if anyone else has seen it? The ending seemed a bit strange; it kinda reminded me of the edited ending of SPL & had me wondering if the version I got was some edited mainland version? I take it this movie hasn't yet been properly released yet? Are there only bootlegs available at present?

Thanks

h

Guest dager in the cotton

I saw the film in a cinema, it did not like the film much at all it was looks and little content , the figts were just awful really dull wiht no innovation, the first fight started out with promisebut it decended in to tedum v quick,

I did not think the ending was cut.but i did not see the mainland print

Guest limeyninja

I saw the movie several months ago, but the SFX weren't finished, and there were no subtitles. However, it was the full version, and it ended with a long shot of a cauldron which the sword is thrown in. I know they have edited it for release in North America, but I was not aware of any editing for the mainland, as the full version I saw was sent by them. I enjoyed the film, but, I think you have to remember before you watch it that it isn't a martial arts film persay, its a tragedy with some martial arts in it. If you watch it expecting to see some kick ass fight scenes you will be disappointed. Although, I did enjoy the opening fight scene and a few others quite a bit.

Guest limubai2000

Banquet - Visually great, plot slow, emotionally flat. I saw it on DVD with subs.

Curse - I hear nothing but good things, CHUD.com called it "Platoon meets Hero" I spoke very well of it.

Guest sevenhooks
Banquet - Visually great, plot slow, emotionally flat.

Sounds like SO many films nowadays.

I'm getting rather tired of these so-called martial arts epics with art film pretensions.

They can never seem to get either one right.