Thai boxing in martial arts movies

ShawAngela

Two movies that come to my mind at once about this, showing the ritual of the boxers before the beginning of the duel,  are :

Rage of the masters

Duel of fists

Are there any other martial arts movies from Hong Kong, Mainland or Taiwan with such sequences ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I think the sequel as well.

Having watched that earlier this year, I can confirm that it does.

• Like 3

There's also the old movies made by Panna Ritikrai who i guess show more legit Thai Boxing techniques influenced by chinese martial arts choreography style.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 8/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, ShawAngela said:

Are there any other martial arts movies from Hong Kong, Mainland or Taiwan with such sequences ?

The Greatest Thai Boxing(1974) directed by Hsu Tseng-Hung, featuring Fong Yao, San Kui, Bolo Yeung, Chieh Yuen.

• Like 2

Donnie fights a muay thai fighter on a double decker bus in Tiger Cage 2. As a side note there haven't been many proper representations of the style in kung fu movies, it usually gets caricatured.

• Like 3

odioustrident

Sham Chin Bo, who played a similar role in Master of Flying Guillotine someone mentioned, really steals the show in He's a Legend He's a Hero with this type of performance. His techniques in that movie are probably the biggest departure from actual Muay Thai I have ever seen outside of anime / manga like Tatakae Ramenman. The Japanese film Karate Wars also has a notable scene like this. Mark Dacascos in Legend of Bruce Lee is a more recent example. 

My favorite "muay thai" screen fights are probably in Secret of Chinese Kung Fu and Ninja in USA but I'm not sure either has those dance sequences. 

• Like 3

Thank you very much or all the answers.

I wouldn't have thought that there were so many movies with this kind of scenes !

There are some titles mentioned above that I haven't watched as yet.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Are there any ritual dances in Kickboxer's Tears and Dreaming the Reality? @Drunken Monk, can you help us?

Hmm...I don’t recall. My memory is a nightmare.

TibetanWhiteCrane
5 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Are there any ritual dances in Kickboxer's Tears and Dreaming the Reality? @Drunken Monk, can you help us?

Don't remember any Wai Kru being done in the Muay Thai ring fights in those movies..... but it has been a while.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Tattooed Dragon - where we're expected to believe that Sam Hui, who probably tipped the scales at a buck-fifty, can best a Thai champion!

• Like 1

The Brutal Boxer(1972) starring Raymond Lui & Chan Sing, features a local Thai champion in a small cameo role. He helps the hero of the movie, when a gang of thugs attack him.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 8/8/2020 at 8:32 AM, ShawAngela said:

Two movies that come to my mind at once about this, showing the ritual of the boxers before the beginning of the duel,  are :

Rage of the masters

Duel of fists

Are you looking for movies specifically with the wai khru (the ritual dance before the fight) or just any movies that feature an element of Muay Thai, as a lot of the movies being mentioned in the more recent posts only feature the latter.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 10:56 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

Are you looking for movies specifically with the wai khru (the ritual dance before the fight) or just any movies that feature an element of Muay Thai, as a lot of the movies being mentioned in the more recent posts only feature the latter.

Both, I think.

There is a Thai boxer doing a ritual dance while a Japanese fighter plays flute in a forest in the movie Right overcomes might I watched yesterday, and I must confess that when this scene arrived in the movie, I was wondering what was the link between this and the story, but it was explained later...:bs_smile:

• Like 2

Was watching blonde fury, one of cynthia rothrocks hk movies and there is a fight with a thai boxer (who's wearing a comically oversized suit). He roughs up chin siu ho with some knees and elbows from the clinch then fights cynthia after that.

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

What's interesting is how the art is always portrayed as used by bad guys when it is primarily a sport. I mean like 99%. You have to arrange a match. People would not go to a Muay Thai gym to learn martial arts, it's too hard. They'd just carry a weapon, etc.

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

It's often portrayed as a sort of 'brutish' style where it's all about conditioning and power when in reality a lot of the great fighters in the sport (samart, saenchai, karuhat, namkabuan..etc) are technical fighters who use movement and defence. The gambling aspect is true(ish) though, gamblers do have a big influence on the sport in thailand unfortunately. 

• Like 3