Chen Zhen (2020)

Drunken Monk

Drunken Monk

Here are the first stills (and banner) for Danny Chan's next vehicle, Chen Zhen. he film is directed by Zhu Xian and will also co-star Bruce Leung.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Here are the first stills (and banner) for Danny Chan's next vehicle, Chen Zhen. he film is directed by Zhu Xian and will also co-star Bruce Leung.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

As long as there’s no stupidness i.e wires and extreme undercranking and he doesn’t impersonate Bruce Lee I’m in👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Killer Meteor said:

And more geisha strippers this time!

Will the Mainland allow that? Can they pull it off if the geisha strippers are played by non-Chinese actresses?

1 minute ago, Killer Meteor said:

and Cheng Chao-an so few!

I've always wondered why the Big Boss-sploitation sub-sub-genre gets so little attention by filmmakers.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

FOF  has the advantage that Chen Zhen is real (in that, Lo Wei got his name off a list of Huo Yuen-Jia's pupils) so he isn't under copyright?

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 12:29 AM, Killer Meteor said:

FOF  has the advantage that Chen Zhen is real (in that, Lo Wei got his name off a list of Huo Yuen-Jia's pupils) so he isn't under copyright?

Chen Zhen himself is fictional, but Ni Kuang was said to have based him on Liu Zhensheng who was one of Huo's pupils. 

Likewise, Cheng Chao-An was loosely based on a real figure (Thai-Chinese hero Cheng Chi-Yong). 

But I'm not at all sure as to how copyright factors into either or both of these cases. 

• Like 2

already 4 chen zhen movies came out earlier this year,  some even came out the same week  with the exact same title, i will be watching this new one regardless

• Like 3

On 8/8/2020 at 12:44 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Interesting that Ni Kuang isn't credited on the Bruce Lee films. Was he under contract exclusive to Shaws?

I'm not certain. But Ni himself was unsure about why Golden Harvest didn't credit him, so maybe GH felt it might have caused problems with Shaws in any case? 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/ni-kuang-t3983.html

Q3: Were you the original screenplay writer for Bruce Lee’s TBB and FOF? Why wasn’t your name being credited in these 2 movies? [1]
NK: Yes, Raymond Chow, the GH’s boss, employed me to write these 2 movie scripts. I finished them within a week for each script. I then submitted my completed works and got my remuneration in return. That’s more important and I’ve no idea why they never credit me as the screenplay writer in the movie listing. I don’t really care. Anyway, Golden Harvest owned the copyrights of the movie scripts not me.

Q4: How did you get the ideas for these 2 scripts? [1]
NK: I did the research based on the movie’s boss requirements. TBB’s character was adapted from a local Thai Chinese hero who lived in the early 20th century. I created the story and the character development was based on the above adaption. It’s a straightforward story which tells about how Chinese coolies left their motherland due to hardships and internal civil wars. They went overseas to make a living and subsequently were forced to fight against the triads for injustice that were done to them. Eventually, the hero sacrificed himself, subdued the bad guys and won the respect of the overseas Chinese etc. I didn’t expect TBB would smash HK box office record of $3.5 million in just 3 weeks and Bruce Lee became an overnight sensation in HK.
As for FOF, it’s based on Jing Mo Athlete Association and the student sought revenge for GM Fok Yuen-Kap who was poisoned to death by the villain Japanese Karatekas. It happened in the early era of the Republic of China (ROC). I just created the name of Chan Chen who was an imaginary character but never thought that it is still very popular till today. The credits go to Bruce Lee. If the role was given to other actors, it would be totally tarnished and vanished by now. In this script, I also created the “Sick Man of Asia” plague idea based on the true happenings where the Japanese and foreigners nicknamed the Chinese in that era. Furthermore, the park which Bruce was forbidden to enter actually existed in Shanghai during the colony period in the early 20th century.

• Like 4

WarriorBloodCrest
On 8/7/2020 at 10:40 AM, DrNgor said:

I've always wondered why the Big Boss-sploitation sub-sub-genre gets so little attention by filmmakers.

What movies encompass that sub-sub-genre?

• Like 2