Western Actors In 70's Kung Fu Movies

saltysam

Question

I know Roy Horan has done plenty of interviews but i would love to read about the experiences of the likes of Jim James, Alexander Grand . Robert Kerver i would doubt there's any information about. So has anyone come across any interviews with these guys? I think the Clones site had an interview with Graham Ravey, the guy who challenged Hwang Jang Lee at the start of Tower Of Death (he wasn't too complimentary).

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

13 answers to this question

NoKUNGFUforYU
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

I know Roy Horan has done plenty of interviews but i would love to read about the experiences of the likes of Jim James, Alexander Grand . Robert Kerver i would doubt there's any information about. So has anyone come across any interviews with these guys? I think the Clones site had an interview with Graham Ravey, the guy who challenged Hwang Jang Lee at the start of Tower Of Death (he wasn't too complimentary).

I can see this happening- http://clonesofbrucelee.info/graham-ravey/

There is a faction of martial artists that see these movies as nonsense. There were also a lot of Karate guys that had contempt for Kung Fu itself. Joe Lewis said that before Bruce Lee the American Karate guys who had trained overseas in Japan, Korea and Okinawa considered the Kung Fu guys as doing finger painting. Now Hwang Jang Lee was a Tae Kwon Do practitioner and impressed as I am with some of his kicks, he lets his arms flop all over the place in his instructional video. While you may torque your arms a certain way to gain power, just letting them sort of flop is really dangerous if a fight involves punching to the face. I lost track of how easily Tae Kwon Do and Kyokushin guys drop like a sack of potatoes if accidently hit in the face. I can understand this guys perspective. Also, I have believed that HJL's "killing kick" most likely was caused by the guy hitting his head on the floor, which is quite common in manslaughter cases. And I like HJL's movies, so don't get me wrong.

• Like 3

DragonClaws

I'd like to see an interview with American actor Bill Lake(The Tattoo Connection & Bruce's Greatest Revenge(1978).

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

On an interesting note, Goju Ryu has some close similarities to White Crane Kung Fu and there are some that believe that Okinawa Karate is closer to what Kung Fu once was before the Ch'ing dynasty and Boxer Rebellion really killed off a lot of practitioners (and interest in hard core training).

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Dubber Ted Thomas has been interviewed a few times, but ironically his rare on-screen appearence in Mighty Peking Man was not dubbed by his team!

• Like 3

Watched Way Of The Dragon earlier- one of the thugs also played the comedy gold running instructor in The Man The Myth. Anyone know his name?

• Like 2

DragonClaws
1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Watched Way Of The Dragon earlier- one of the thugs also played the comedy gold running instructor in The Man The Myth. Anyone know his name?

His name is Mark Metekingi, click on the link below for a few more details about him and how he landed a minor part in Way of The Dragon(1972).

• Like 2

Mike Leeder
On 8/5/2020 at 5:25 AM, DragonClaws said:

I'd like to see an interview with American actor Bill Lake(The Tattoo Connection & Bruce's Greatest Revenge(1978).

Gwailo Bill is a neighbour and old friend, we've been meaning to sit down and do an interview for ages, bloody covid stopped us from doing it the last few months, will try and catch him as he's got some great stories and memories

• Like 5

DragonClaws
19 hours ago, Mike Leeder said:

Gwailo Bill is a neighbour and old friend, we've been meaning to sit down and do an interview for ages, bloody covid stopped us from doing it the last few months, will try and catch him as he's got some great stories and memories

This sounds great @Mike Leeder, finger's crossed it all works out.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 10:25 PM, DragonClaws said:

actually met Bill Lake with toby russell in hk last year had a drink and a good chat he has some great stories to tell , interesting he appeared in the really rare tv series fist of fury CTV  with Bruce Liang in 1976

image.png.6bf51cc3f2205523a52fb1b766a9a998.png

• Like 7

DragonClaws
On 8/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, rdenn said:

actually met Bill Lake with toby russell in hk last year had a drink and a good chat he has some great stories to tell , interesting he appeared in the really rare tv series fist of fury CTV  with Bruce Liang in 1976

Hi @rdenn nice to see you posting on the forums again. Cool picture and a great story to go with it. 

• Like 2

Anyone got any info on the lead back alley thug from Way Of The Dragon? The stocky, bearded guy. Only ever seen him in one other movie, Shaws The Pirate.

• Like 1