Jackie vs Sammo vs Lau Kar Leung

sym8

Who do you think made the best shapes Kung fu movie out of the three?I personally choose Sammo because of his style of choreography and more all round entertaining films,but a case can be made for all three.

• Like 3

Yes, all 3 have strong points, but, i'd give my vote for the best "Shapes" to Lau Kar Leung as he was the real Kung Fu master of the 3.  Jackie did good shapes but he's more famous for his modern action, acrobatics and stunts  and Sammo is to me the most well rounded as he did excelent Shapes AND Modern fights too (sometimes in the same movie).

• Like 3

Nice thread, but too difficult choice  !

I love all of them, but maybe I would place Sammo and Liu Chia Liang at the first place ex aequo, and Jackie at the third place...

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

"made", "choreographed" or "starred in"? 

All of the above can be included👍

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Jackie at the third place...

I too would put Jackie third mainly because he got tired of doing these type of fight scenes and was more interested in doing his own style of action which wasn’t really shapes.If you watch Young master he has sprinklings of shapes coupled with his own style(especially the Whang Ink Sik sequences)and then he did Dragon Lord And there was no shapes what so ever,just all out Brawling.Still good when he did it though👍👍

• Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

I am going with Sammo. His fight scenes have a faster flow and I could see the difference in Hand of Death way back in the day. LKL's fights are very hup 1 2 3 hup 1 2 3 hup. I realize most fights in HK are based on a drum beat (that is why the are so unrealistic, fights in real life, like Bruce Lee said, are mostly broken rhythm) but even then Sammo's fights are faster and smoother. I'm sure under cranking helped.

• Like 3

Of the 3, the overall better is definitive Sammo Hung. He did everything from Bashers, to Shapes, To wire,  to Kickboxing, to Weapons.  I just don't remember if he Choreographed a Gun-Fu scene.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, edher_M.A. said:

I just don't remember if he Choreographed a Gun-Fu scene.

I think the closest he came were the firefights in Eastern Condors. And maybe the John Woo-esque sequence in Thunderbolt?

EDIT: There's a little bit of stylized gunplay in Heart of Dragon.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

I think the closest he came were the firefights in Eastern Condors. And maybe the John Woo-esque sequence in Thunderbolt?

EDIT: There's a little bit of stylized gunplay in Heart of Dragon.

Yep, Thanks, and those are good too lol

• Like 3

I don't really see the need to rank them, since they all have done good things the others haven't and its not like there's not enough time to watch them all.  It can be interesting to discuss their different styles and different aspects of their films, but I dunno the point of putting them into a ranking.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

It's a shame that we never got to see Lau Kar-Leung choreograph Sammo. Pedicab Driver could have been an opportunity for that.

• Like 3