Films with creative/strange choreography

AbeRudder

Was going through my collection and started watching the old Yuen clan films like Shaolin Drunkard, Drunken Tai Chi, Dreadnought etc. What I absolutely loved about these films was the strange but creative fight choreography. A lot of the fights were totally wacked out but the movement was always clean and crisp. Which films would you guys say had creative but unorthodox fight choreography?

• Like 3

Nice idea for crating a thread.

I watch so many movies, that nothing comes to my mind right away, though I'm sure to have seen such movies as you describe in your post...

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Hwang Jang Lee vs Tino Wong in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha is so creative. From the cup to the snake fist to the chopsticks. It’s unique as hell.

On that note, the wine tasting fight from Dirty Hohas super inventive choreography. I love those “we’re fighting but we’re pretending we’re not” moments.

• Like 6

The schrimp and crab combined styles in Mysterious footworks of Kung fu.is creative, for me, as well as Ko Fei's horse style combined with Beardy's Mantis style (if I'm not mistaken) in Two on the road.

And talking about wine tasting fight style, it's seems to me that there is something similar between Ti Lung and Ku Feng in Return of the sentimental swordsman.

Also, it seems to me that Ko Fei has a weird fighting style with his flute as weapon in The loot (or The challenger, I always mix the two movies, since they have the same leads).

Wilson Tong's feet style in Kung Fu for sale is also very creative (unless it's not that movie ? Unless it's Tino Wong ?)

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Hwang Jang Lee vs Tino Wong in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha is so creative. From the cup to the snake fist to the chopsticks. It’s unique as hell.

On that note, the wine tasting fight from Dirty Hohas super inventive choreography. I love those “we’re fighting but we’re pretending we’re not” moments.

Man I forgot how good Hitman in the Hand of Buddha is, the fight with Tino in the restaurant is amazing. That type of choreography isn't what I usually associate Hwang with but he pulled it off perfectly. Dirty Ho also fits the description, the end fight is one of the most perfectly choreographed fights of all time imo. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AbeRudder said:

Hitman in the Hand of Buddha is, the fight with Tino in the restaurant is amazing.

I agree, I loved this particular sequence. It seems to me that the ending fight between Hwang Jang Lee and Ko Hung is a little bit unusual, or am I mistaken ?

• Like 3

When I read this thread title the first thing that sprung to mind was Shaolin Drunkard.  One thing I don't think is as appreciated as much with this film over the other Yuen Clan films is that I think all the weird props are better incorporated into the fight choreography here than in the other films.  The puppet fight and the end battle with the rings are really genius. I hope a subtitled version of this one surfaces eventually.

I don't know if I have anything too unknown to contribute, but besides Lau Kar Leung's work in Dirty Ho, I'd also highlight Return to the 36th Chamber's scaffolding kung fu as some of my all time favorite weird and inventive choreography.

• Like 4

I loved Philip Ko Fei's horse style in Two for the Road (aka The Fearless Dragons). It's probably Jackie Chen/Chan Siu-Lung's best moment as choreographer.

In modern films, In the Line of Duty IV has John Salvitti's infamous "spaz-fu" fight, plus jousting on dirtbikes with shovels and sledge hammers. You don't see that every day. Unsurprisingly, that's a Yuen Clan job.

Speaking of whom, I love their work on the final fight of Young Taoism Fighter, in which Yuen Yat-Chor is torn limb from limb, and then uses Astral Kung Fu to make his severed members fly around and beat up Chang Yi-Tao (the former Bruce Lai).

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4

Dance of Death - Angela Mao fight-dancing style

Dreadnaught - Yuen Biao "laundry" Kung Fu,  also the Tailor assasin Kung Fu.

The Victim - in the final fight you see some very creative, crisp choreo with lots of moves in one take.

Knockabout - Jumping rope Kung Fu,  The Villain using smoke pipe-Snake fist combo to fight against 2.

Snake in the Eagle´s Shadow - Jackie combines Snake & cat fist to battle Eagle Claw.

Fearless Hyena - Emotional Kung Fu.

Dont remember the name of the movie.. but there's even a "Corpse" Kung Fu or "Sick" Kung Fu when the Master is inside of a coffin.. wasn't in Dance of the Drunk Mantis?

• Like 5

Chu Liu Hsiang

SHAOLIN HEROES (1979) has a tournament scene where one guy fights Chicken Style and another some sort of Doctor Style, including taking pulse during the fight etc, sadly the fight is rather short. 

• Like 5

Not old skool kung fu but the chainsaw fight between gordon liu and conan lee in tiger on the beat was certainly something i havent seen the likes of before or since.

• Like 3